Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Falls Off when I draw Back >

Arrow Falls Off when I draw Back

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Falls Off when I draw Back

Old 06-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Arrow Falls Off when I draw Back

Just Got A Mattews Switchback XT about 2 months ago The problem Im having is when drawing back the arrow falls off the string.Took it back to where I got it and they change the nocks on the arrows which help but really didnt fix or tell me why it is doing it.I got knocks on the string and us a trigger release bow is set to 64 pounds at a 28" draw.Now to be fair Im new at shooting a compound but never had this problem with my recurve.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:51 AM

Default RE: Arrow Falls Off when I draw Back

You need a string loop. The angle on the string is too extremefor nocks and the release under the arrow.Ashort ata bow withstringnocks anda release under the arrow is a recipe for disaster.

Get a loop put on the string before you dryfire the bow.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most likely the nock is getting pinched off the string. The string is passing through the nock at such an angle that the nock can't stay on it. Install a string loop it won't happen again.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on the string loop.

If you still want to shoot off the string then at least install some eleminator buttons on the string. They act as a cushion between the release and the arrows nock.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a short ATA bow with parallel limbs, and I shoot off the string. My DL is 27". I use an eliminator button as a cushion between the release and the nock. Never had an arrow fall off the string.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:14 AM

Using a eliminator button and was talk out of that loop by the dealer I got the bow from they said it slows down bow and damages the string any truth to that? But then again a dryfire going to do more damage then a loop would.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need a new dealer if he is telling customers that.

A brass nock and eleminator button is almost twice as heavy as a string loop and the wear from your release on the string is much much worse. In fact, a string loop causes absolutely no serving wear on the bow string.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:49 AM

While the eliminator buttons will work, the loop will work better for several reasons. First, in a let-down and redraw situation, you might have to renock with the eliminator button. This is not the case with the string loop.

Second, if you're using a captive or drop-away rest, the down pressure generated by the eliminator button can be a detriment. The string loop totally eliminates any downward pressure on the arrow.

Finally,suggest toyour 'dealer' that he"get with the program". Telling you that you should not use a loop because it "slows down bow and damages the string" is totally wrong.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Len's telling you the straight truth.

Your dealer does need a good bit of educating. This sport is chock full of oddball ideas and urban legends, but you hate to see it come from behind the counter of a bow shop.

RI, if your draw was closer to 30", you'd be a lot more likely to see that arrow nock falling off the string at full draw. Even at 27", I bet you'd soil your pants if you saw the angle the string is taking inside that nock when you're at full draw. Probably only the top corner of the nock is still on the string.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

The only type of "loops" that slow the bow down that are worth mentioning are the metal type of loop that connects to the string. They are very hard on releases too. They are crap. So if your dealer was referring to the METAL loops and talking you out of them, then yes he was correct.

But if he was trying to talk you out of a string d-loop, then he was waaay off base. String loops are extremely inexpensive, save wear and tear on your sting, aid with nock pinch, and don't slow the bow down but 1-3fps which is about nothing.

And he's not much of a 'dealer' if he doesn't know the benefits of the string loop in general. This should send up some warning flags for you when going to that shop.

Quick Reply: Arrow Falls Off when I draw Back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.