Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow penetration vs. weight >

Arrow penetration vs. weight

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow penetration vs. weight

Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Arrow penetration vs. weight

Made up some arrows to see if heavier would dig deeper. 3 arrows. One 2216 AL.@ 560's, one 2216 AL. @ 530's and one a Beman carbon @ 435. I even put a bigger head on the 560 to increase the foc. The 435 went around 3"'s deeper that the others. The heavier grouped as well as some here claimed they would and as I expected left the bow quieter, but the drop at yardages over 20 is too much for me and the penetration isn't better. They also make too much noise when drawn. Never checked speed.

Glad I did it. Have been wanting some varmint shafts. I will say this for the 2216's, I can find them a whole lot easier.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Default RE: Arrow penetration vs. weight

What sort of "media" did you use to test penetration?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:10 PM

What heads did you test on these arrows?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

A more than reasonable question Roskoe poses....
Old 05-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

A more than reasonable question Roskoe poses....
Whatever it was it most likely was the same for all 3.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bemans are quite a bit skinnyer , and were you useing the same broadheads ?
2 major factors that influance penitration .
Old 05-19-2007, 03:57 PM

I'm also wondering about this diameter thing. If the material used to test penetration is something that also imparts friction on the arrow shaft as it passes through, then a smaller diameter arrow is going to have a distinct advantage. Other than the hide, I don't see a flesh and blood deer's body asputting much friction on the arrow shaft. In fact, blood and other body fluids might tend to lubricate the arrow shaft a little.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also believe that carbon is better than aluminum with penetration so imo,that made a difference.

Your target makes a difference as well.

Considering that friction decreases with speed and a foam target uses friction to stop the arrow,that will also make a difference.Resistance will increase with speed but not friction.Sharp points should decrease resistance and allow for the friction to decrease IMO.

Laws of friction states that atvery low velocity the friction is independant of the velocity of rubbing.As the velocity increases,THE FRICTION DECREASES.

Isn't that right Bow hunter44.

I hope this doesn't turn into another 40 pages of arguments.[]

Old 05-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Yup TFOX, that is right (at least to the best of my understanding, and besides that you are always right!!). As velocity increses the frictional force, in fact,decreases.

Roskoe also has a good point about penetration of tissue. I read the other daythat when an arrow penetrates an animal, the flesh has a tendancy to withdraw from the shaft.However, when penetrating a target the opposite is true.

I hope this doesn't turn into a 40 page nightmare too!
Old 05-19-2007, 07:22 PM

Let's see if I've got this straight. You're taking two 2216 arrows of different weights, which means that they would have to have different lengths and/or tip weights to attain the weight difference. In any event they could well have different spines. You're comparing them to an unknown length, unknown spine and unknowndiameter Beman carbon arrow (unknown at least to us).

We also weren't told as to whether or not they were even shot out of the same bow and if that bow was properly tuned to any one of those arrows. And as stated, the medium into which the arrows were shot even complicated the puzzle. A better test would have been to build a set of identical arrows and increase the weight of one in a variety of ways.

Quick Reply: Arrow penetration vs. weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.