Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting In

Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Sighting In

Ok i have had my Bowtech Guardian for almost a week now and i thought i had everything dialed in. I am hitting where i was aiming until a couple days ago. Yesterday i go out to shoot and i am hitting dead on. Then today i go out to shoot and im hitting about 2 inches high. This is has been the case for a couple of days like i said. One day i will shoot and be dead on. The next i will be high. I dont knowwhat to do because im afraid it may be me causing these inconsitencys and then again it may not be. I was wanting to know how many of you go about dialing things in when you first geta new bow.

Thanks Josh
Old 05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sighting In

same issue with a PSE I bought on e-bay, I tourqed the nuts down so tight on the sight becasue it shifted a few times, but also someone told me that your string will streach and cause this ??? I wonder on that theory, I cannot seem to get that bow to shoot consistant, and I have 2 others that are dead on every time so I am confused also. but if you do get an answer to that problem please let me know. check your sight nuts to make sure they are really tight though, my forst bow they weren't tight enough becasue I was afraid to strip the holes so if It got bumped or bounced in the car I would have to resite it in. hope that helps a bit
Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me as you have string stretch or something else going on. Are you holding your bow consistantly the same every shot? Are you following through with the shot? Are you torquing the bow up or down, are you shooting closed or open handed? There are many factors that can give you the results you are getting. How much are you shooting? Are all your arrows and tips/boradheads the same? Are you shooting indoor or outdoor?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me like you are anchoring slightly lower with your release hand on the shots that are going high.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both guys hit on a number of reasons for the problem. I'd start off with making sure you have a good anchor point on your jaw/face and nose.

Then if the problem is still there check your form for consistancy.Follow through, grip, bow arm position. Are you slapping the trigger etc.

Once you have that and the problem is still there you have to start looking atthebow. Measuring your ATA,nock location, etc. eachtime you shoot. If the measurements are changing see how that affects your shots.

The new Bowtechs come with quality strings (I've been told)that reach their final length rather quickly with very little elongation.However, that does not mean that there cannot be a bad string here or there. If you store the bow in a hot place during the day that also could affect the bow.Even good equipment can be harned by extreme heat.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM

Peep sight served in properly?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good answer! I never thought of that. Last year when my brother was shooting his bow he was all over the place and kept adjusting the sight. He busted like 3 new arrows and lost 1. I couldnt figure it out at first then I stood facing him on his right side and watched him draw. Something caught my eye. His peep had dropped. So while he was at full draw I moved the peep up even with his eye and marked it. retied the peep, and had him draw. Perfect, had him shoot one, then two, then 3. Deadon.

This taught my borther an important lesson. Alwayscheck your gear before using it!! This is especailly true when it comes to archery equipment such as bows, arrows, treestands, etc. He has learned and learned well. Last year was his 3rd year bow hunting. Hes gotten 1 deer in the last 3 years, Of course his work limits him to hunting times. I hope this year he will be as successful as I was last year.

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Peep sight served in properly?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Host of Hosts

Sounds to me like you are anchoring slightly lower with your release hand on the shots that are going high.

That's my thought too! Make sure your anchoring consistently.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josh

As you describe it, I am going to have to say its probably you. It does take about 100-200 arrows to get a new string good and set, and they will stretch a bit (I think BowTechs went away from Winners Choice strings for some reason).

Best advice I can give you for shooting high...aim lower.

Just focus on your anchor and making a good smooth shot. I don't know how long you have been shooting, or what your level of shooting experience is. I do know that with modern, fast compound bows, which does sort of include the Guardian, form, tuning and everything else is magnified, so minor inconsistancies quickly add up to major misses and big questions.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said...my first thought was your string is stretching. Shoot about 200 or so shots to get the string broken in and then really start dialing the sights in. Within those first 200 shots, as long as your hitting the target, I wouldn't worry much about your sights being acurate...just shot the bow a lot!