Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 mechanical broadheads >

mechanical broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mechanical broadheads

Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mechanical broadheads

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

You guys are kiding , punchcutters were the worst mecanical ever produced .
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. The design of the Punchcutter was a very inefficient one for blade deployment by today's standards. However, I still took several deer with them, one in particular with my old Golden Eagle Pro Turbo that delivered a whopping 44 ft. lbs. of KE and I still got a pass through. The blades were very sharp on the Punchcutters and they were made of high quality aluminum and werevery well put together.

The worst broadheads I have had experience with were the Puckett's Bloodtrailers. They had the same concept as Punchcutters, but with very loose tolerances and poor quality materials. It felt like the blades were going to fall out of them they were so bad.

To answer the original question, my experience with mechanicals is that they kill deer good.
I may have got the 2 confused , did pucket make both heads ?
The one Im thinking of had 4 real small blades , and what looked like a pin sticking out of the front of it , when the pin was pushed back the blades deployed , that is if the pin was pushed back .

Ive been useing some vortex minimax heads for a couple years with pretty good sucess , I mostly used fixed though
Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ijimmy
I may have got the 2 confused , did pucket make both heads ?
The one Im thinking of had 4 real small blades , and what looked like a pin sticking out of the front of it , when the pin was pushed back the blades deployed , that is if the pin was pushed back .

Ive been useing some vortex minimax heads for a couple years with pretty good sucess , I mostly used fixed though
Yes sir, you are thinking about the Bloodtrailers. They were made by 2 different manufacturers.

BTW, I see you are from West Palm, shoot me a PM and let me know where you hunt in FL. I used to live in Boca.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hockeyhead

Dead deer !!!

You forgot short and heavy blood trails with a dead deer at the end!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll argue that steelheads are the most wicked heads around.I've killed three bucks with them and broke at least one blade each time.Two of those recoveries were pretty tricky and all three of the shots were placed perfectly.I'm not saying they won't kill deer because they absolutely will.However,I see no advantage to themwhat so ever over a good fixed blade head.In my opinion,they have a veryweek blade retention system.Changing blades in a pain in the neck.They don't offer a wider cutting diameter thanmost fixed blades and their blades are very dull by my standards.I actually feel that they're one of the worst broadheads on the market.No way are they the best.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Mechs b-heads are awesome! No one can argue that the Rocket Steelhead series heads are absolutely wicked! I've tried dozens of different b-heads on game but not even any of the popular fixed blades have compared to the incredible penetration I get from the Steelheads!
I agree,I have never had a problem with the Steelheads.Never had one come apart,even when jamming in the ground after a complete passthrough.

I did have one of the 75 gr wolverines come apart ( I recovered the deer)but Rocket made it right and sent me a package of Steelheads to use and I have been using them from that point on.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Hey douge e they are not the worst on the market no way
Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

They're the worst I've ever used.Small cutting diameter,dull blades and very weak blade retention system.What advantage could they possibly have over a quality fixed blade?