HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   broken knocks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/190856-broken-knocks.html)

bullcan 05-08-2007 09:05 AM

broken knocks

How do you take a cracked knock off of an arrow? I tried to twist it off with a pair of pliers but i cannot keep the arrow from spinning in my hand and if I tried to clamp the arrow down it would ruin it. These are aluminum arrows I am trying to fix. Thanks for any input.

mobow 05-08-2007 10:54 AM

RE: broken knocks

Nocks on aluminum arrows are most likely glued w/ hot melt glue. If you heat the arrow just below the nock the glue will melt and the nock should slide right off.

Words of caution.....DO NOT heat the nock itself, and don't overheat the arrow. Keep the arrow spinning in your hand while you are heating it....It won't take much...

bow_hunter44 05-08-2007 08:24 PM

How about the carbon arrow side to the original question. I broke one yesterday and broke another today. They both broke off almost flush with the arrow. How in the name of common sense does one get that little sucker out of there?

TFOX 05-08-2007 09:33 PM

If a nock breaks off flush,you need to do 1 of 2 things.Take a wood screw and screw it into the nock and just pull it out with a pair of pliers or you can take a small screw and heat it up and melt the screw into the broken nock and let it cool and then pull it out with a pair of pliers.

bow_hunter44 05-08-2007 10:23 PM

gracias TFOX!!

TFOX 05-08-2007 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: bullcan

How do you take a cracked knock off of an arrow? I tried to twist it off with a pair of pliers but i cannot keep the arrow from spinning in my hand and if I tried to clamp the arrow down it would ruin it. These are aluminum arrows I am trying to fix. Thanks for any input.

If they are glued on nocks,I just cut them off with a utility knife or similar knife.

AKHunterNP 07-16-2011 03:13 AM

How do you get them out if they are broken off flush and glued in?

SecondChance 07-27-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by AKHunterNP (Post 3824209)
How do you get them out if they are broken off flush and glued in?

If they are broke off flush, you are referring to carbon arrows I take it? They should not( Key word here!!) be glued in. They should just be pressed in as be able to be turned to be tuned later. They may be tight, not glued in. Try the recommended way to remove as described earlier and see how it goes.

SecondChance 07-27-2011 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by TFOX (Post 2066092)
If they are glued on nocks,I just cut them off with a utility knife or similar knife.

Don't forget to clean off the tip with Acetone or something similar to remove the old glue and nock resin before applying the new nock top obtain the correct alignment.
Use an adhesive such as Bohning FletchTite or FletchTite Platnium to apply the new nock. Just a drop or so, it don't take much!!
Roll arrow on table with nock over the edge to make sure the nock is square with the shaft and doesn't wobble.

AKHunterNP 08-09-2011 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by SecondChance (Post 3827633)
If they are broke off flush, you are referring to carbon arrows I take it? They should not( Key word here!!) be glued in. They should just be pressed in as be able to be turned to be tuned later. They may be tight, not glued in. Try the recommended way to remove as described earlier and see how it goes.

I got them out with the allen key. Yes, they are carbon arrows.