Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Squaring?

Old 05-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Default RE: Arrow Squaring?

Dave:

Many get an impression of me when they don't want to hear what I've got to say. I challenge a lot of customerswith logic and fact and make nobones about it.

In many cases customers have their minds set on certain things when they walk into my shop. A long time ago I may have tried too hard to 'educate' them against their will. Age has tempered this in my character and I now let more things pass than to cause friction.

The engineering community from which I came thrived on fact over personal feelings. Guilty of telling the truth as I see it - sometimes. Guilty of trying to make customers the best that they can be - always.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember you. If I offended you, my apology. That was then and this is now. If I can help you or further explain this arrow dilemma, you're still invited to stop by the shop.

Len
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Didn't even know about this site..... but I found some MD people here! COOL....

I read some of this post, not all of it. The part talking about hunting and not target shooting?Iused to hear that often on the3-d range. I'd normally keep my opinion to myself,to each their own..... I'm all forlive and let live, everyone entitled to opinions etc. etc.but......think about this, what's more importantto you the12 ring on afur or a 12 ring on foam? I used to shoot professionally andall of my colleagues were the same. The hunting arrows and bows were often just as accurate as our target bows.

Now that I see my friendLen here, I'll have to hang out more often.I've traveled to 20 different statesshooting bows for the last 10 years, and a bow manufacturing plant.While outta state, I've visited many Pro Shops....we are luckier than heck to have a shop like Lens in thestate! You willbe lucky to find anyone morepassionate and knowledgable about archery thanLen. Len's personality, however you feel about it,if approached open minded, you'll find he brings out thebest in you. Both archery and personal.
Everyone won't agree all the times and that's cool!Stay passionate andopen minded and we all will progress in archery and bowhunting...

Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Len,

I've based my statements on being at your shop a few times. Bought a bow off of you when I first moved here. I've also stood around and listened to you talk to customers.If I got the wrong impression then I did. I'll leave it at that.
Your opinion is justthat, yours.I have been in Len's placemany times, bought I beleive 4 bows and numorious arrows and other suppliesfrom himand even hunted with him for 2 years and I certainly don't share your opinion of him or his sales practice's. Maybe you ought to take him up on his invitation and stop by without introducing yourself and form another opinion. I'm sure it won't be the same one you harbour now.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rickmur,

I do not beleive I actually made any sort of comment about Len directly. I do not believe I gave my opinion at all. I also do not believe I said anything negative about Len. I just said that I've been in there lately and I'll leave it at that.

I've been in his place twice earlier this year.
Also, wouldn't he know whatI look like since my picture is my Avatar?

I feel that it is disrespectful to turn this thread into a discussion about someone's livelyhood and I never once made a negative comment about Len. It is up to each individual to form their own opinion and to start bantering like this does not help. Therefore, could we please drop this and stick to the thread? Thank you.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ches,

Welcome to the forum. I was amazed at how many Maryland people there are on here too.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: ChesBayBrats

Didn't even know about this site..... but I found some MD people here! COOL....

I read some of this post, not all of it. The part talking about hunting and not target shooting?Iused to hear that often on the3-d range. I'd normally keep my opinion to myself,to each their own..... I'm all forlive and let live, everyone entitled to opinions etc. etc.but......think about this, what's more importantto you the12 ring on afur or a 12 ring on foam? I used to shoot professionally andall of my colleagues were the same. The hunting arrows and bows were often just as accurate as our target bows.

Now that I see my friendLen here, I'll have to hang out more often.I've traveled to 20 different statesshooting bows for the last 10 years, and a bow manufacturing plant.While outta state, I've visited many Pro Shops....we are luckier than heck to have a shop like Lens in thestate! You willbe lucky to find anyone morepassionate and knowledgable about archery thanLen. Len's personality, however you feel about it,if approached open minded, you'll find he brings out thebest in you. Both archery and personal.
Everyone won't agree all the times and that's cool!Stay passionate andopen minded and we all will progress in archery and bowhunting...

Hello Bart,

Welcome to HNI, there are a lot of MD folks here. Len is here quite often in "living color". Hopefully, you will hang around too. With your experience, there's a lot we can learn from you too!

I think that you stated the case very well and Ican'tadd much to what you said.

Allen
Old 05-14-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Um, what was used for arrow squaring before the G5 ASD tool? I do believe that was my original question. Not whether or not Len treats his customers right and knows his *&^%. I believe from past posts I can trust you Len for your knowledge. That is not the question at hand here. And also this question was not directed toward aluminum arrows as I use carbon only. Particularly Easton Axis with HIT inserts. So I really would only be squaring the carbon itself and not the inserts.

Back to regularly scheduled program. LOL

Thanks, LT
Old 05-14-2007, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

davepjr71
Whatever.

This topic is returned to the original poster by me at least. Sorry to have been inticed to reply. Won't happen again
Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 AM

i have a stone that came w/ some easton axis arrows. when i don't feel like squaring both ends of the shafts w/ my g5, i use that tool. i put it on the floor and do the arrow like i was starting a fire. even w/ a real good blade and arrow saw, there are burrs on the cut end of the shaft i want off. the insert and nock will never sit squarely on and in the shaft when there are burrs on the tips of the shaft. squaring only the inserts won't help at all w/ this. also, if you'll notice, most inserts do have just a small amount of play, and having a squared shaft helps them seat properly. if you're not cutting your own arrows - and you're not at lens shop or another real good one- you're getting shafts that were most likely cut and had the inserts glued in w/out even having any of the burrs removed.

no matter which 'grade' arrows i've bought, i've gotten more w/ good flight when i've taken time to take care of the ends properly.

people, please be careful. there are quite a few newer fellows thatdon't really know much, but pass off likethey do. this kind of thing bothers me because some folks who know about as much, or less, don't know the difference between someone who acts like they know what they're talking about - and someone who really does.this happens every few months. folks thinking they can bs their way into some sort of stripe earning - for some unknown reason. some of the things i've read in this post are supreme evidence for what i'm talking about. my best advice would be to read len's posts, and if jeffb just happens to chime in for his every 6 month visit- listen to him too.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 AM

Not many worried about it too much before the ACD tool. The reasons for not addressing the issue could be many. Take for instance the fact that power and speed was not as great, mechanical became very popular for a period of time which negated the need, and maybe there were too many other things to worry about. I used to use several 'gimmicks'. It's a shame I didn't take the subject more seriously and design something. Missed the boat again.[:@]

Montec, who was trying to promote a new broadhead, developed several tools for sharpening and came out with the ACD. It works well and more and more saw that they could get just a little better BH flight by using it.

The problem with a lot of carbon arrows, as I've stated, is that they are not alwaysstraight. You can trim/square that last few inches of arrow all you want; but, if the arrow has a little bend, especially close to either the nock end or the tip end, then you've still got a problem.[:@] It may be less severe by squaring the tip, but don't expect miracles.

Again, always spin your arrows with a good spinning device. This should be done especially with fixed BHs installed. Look at both the tip of the BH and the nock end. Sometimes it's best to put a piece of white paper behind the object being viewed. Having this sort of background will aid in seeing any variances.

Hope this helps and answers your questions.

Quick Reply: Arrow Squaring?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.