Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Squaring?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow Squaring?

I asked this question in the bowhunting forum and no one has responded. Sooo, I'll ask here. What was used for this task before the G5 ASD tool? Just curious if someone has an old school way that is just as effective.

Thanks, LT
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Squaring?

With aluminum arrows you heated the glue up and moved the insert to square it up with the arrow. Also, with the slower bows it wasn't as big of an issue as the burners we have now. My aluminums hit the same field tip or broadhead. With carbons you can use the little plastic washers.

Today's bows seem to require a much higher degree of tuning at all aspects due to the increased speed and much shorter ATA. The bow I have now is probably close to 100 fps faster than my Whitetail legend I bought in 1990.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 AM

Scroll down to post # 16 by GreggWNY

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=472748

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it may be easier to use than the G5 ASD.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:09 PM

To be honest, I don't like that rig at all. How can you get any consistency? What happens when the wood swells in the hot summers?

Go buy an ASD...solid metal construction. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this response on Archery talk but figured I'd post it here to.

Isn't the main purpose of the G5 to square the end of the insert so that the broadhead/field tip square with the shaft?

Obviously, if you are using HIT inserts youneed tosquare the end of the shaft. But for all other arrows it really does not matter if the end of the shaft is not square by the small amount.The insert will square with the inside of the shaft, not the end. however, the broadhead/field tip needs to be square with the shaft.

None ofhome madetools address this issue.The bigger problem I see is that they can possibly fray the carbon at the end ruining the shaft if not done properly. With the G5 that is not an issue.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:33 PM

You are right on Dave. Also, if you purchase pre-fletched arrows, you can still use the ASD tool to square off the butt end of the arrow where the nock attaches. That is if the nock is wobbling on the arrow roller.

That wooden device could only be used if you removed the fletchings.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use you ASD on the nock end, the insert end and the insert for a truly perfect arrow. It works well enough that I consider it an important tool.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:24 PM

There is a lot more to carbonarrows than what most people think. From manufacturer to manufacturer there will be differences and some of them will be glaring. A manufacturer makinggood productsin one year can easilymake lesser quality products the next year.

You also have to consider the 'formed'ID of the arrowin conjunction with the machined insert. Tolerances, shank size of the tip, quality of the thread interface, and perpendicularity of certain components also must be viewed and considered.

All in all, each arrow 'system' must be evaluated thoroughly.I'd be glad tocover a lot of this in my seminar for those on here who are attending.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

This isn't magic or hidden science and doesn't require a PhD to understand.

Manufacturers now make inserts specific for their shafts. It's not like the old days where the insert could be wiggled around in the shaft and you had to make sure it was square while the glue set.

If you square the end of the insert more than likely the tip/broadhead will be square with the shaft. If not then the tip/broadhead is bent. Tolerances have been greatly decreased and inserts come sized for the specific shaft. Carbon manufactures usually have the ID the same for a line of shafts and therefore only have to have 1 insert. Aluminum manufactures make inserts that have to be gently forced into the shaft.

If you buy the inserts from the manufacturer there is nothing to consider. I really don't know how we shot arrows all those years without having the tolerances that are used today.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 PM

Dave:

Many have been surprised at what I've shown them concerning tolerances and other issueson carbon arrows. Some visit this and other forums and others provide a source for learning to millions in the industry.

If you ever get the chance to stop by my shop, I'd gladly share some of myinsight with you.

Good shooting and good hunting,

Len

Quick Reply: Arrow Squaring?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.