HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow Squaring? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/190803-arrow-squaring.html)

davepjr71 05-14-2007 07:56 AM

RE: Arrow Squaring?

I've read enough articles from reputable people that the ASD works. That's why I said about using it.

LittleChief 05-14-2007 08:01 AM

Len,
Your variation in color choicescan bepainful for a colorblind guy like me.:D:D

Again, always spin your arrows with a good spinning device. This should be done especially with fixed BHs installed. Look at both the tip of the BH and the nock end.
Absolutely. I used my ASD to square the ends of my shafts, and even to smooth the ends of my inserts, but still had some wobble in my Montecs. The $30.00 for a decent arrow spinner was perhaps the best money I've spent since I bought my bow.

brucelanthier 05-14-2007 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Sometimes it's best to put a piece of white paper behind the object being viewed. Having this sort of background will aid in seeing any variances.

I do something like this. I take 3x5 index cards,with blue lines on them, and put one under each end of the arrow when I spin it. I line up the shaft with one of the lines and then spin and that gives me a very good visual concerning the straightness on each end.

davepjr71 05-14-2007 08:11 AM

bruce,

That's a good idea. the lines would make a great reference.

Greg / MO 05-14-2007 08:56 AM

Len,
Your variation in color choicescan bepainful for a colorblind guy like me.:D:D
Wait a minute... shouldn't it NOT bother you if you were colorblind? [8D][8D]

LittleChief 05-14-2007 09:18 AM

Greg,
You would think so, but when the font is in light green, yellow or some other bright lighter color, it's extremely hard to see the defining edges of the letters, and that makes it hard for me to read. Yellow is the worst by far.

AllenRead 05-14-2007 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Um, what was used for arrow squaring before the G5 ASD tool? I do believe that was my original question. Not whether or not Len treats his customers right and knows his *&^%. I believe from past posts I can trust you Len for your knowledge. That is not the question at hand here. And also this question was not directed toward aluminum arrows as I use carbon only. Particularly Easton Axis with HIT inserts. So I really would only be squaring the carbon itself and not the inserts.

Back to regularly scheduled program. LOL

Thanks, LT
In the "old days" most would just spin the arrow against the cutting blade in an arrow saw. I've seen some horible results from lack of skill in doing that, but some could do a great job.

For the guys that couldn't do a good job on the saw, the wood block tool would work. Sometimes instead of a hole the size of an arrow, they would have a V shaped notch that was used just like the ASD.

Today, we have the ASD and it is abetter tool.A bit expensive any more, but still worth it.

Allen

BobCo19-65 05-14-2007 11:58 AM

I took a look at the tool and wonder if it is really necessary. Personally, I won't be rushing out to buy it.

Shaft and Component Tolerances are a sperate issue.

newman1 05-14-2007 12:02 PM

You two guys are way wrong in your assessment of who and what Len is about.He is a "HUNTER"not a competition shooter.Although he could probably hold his own with most,both left and right handed.As stated he does not not "push" products on customers at all.It seems when Len or a few other people state facts on this forum with the knowledge and experience to back up their statements there are always people who want to bash.If you can't handle the"facts" then don't read anything that Len has to say.You cannot win the debate with Len when it comes totechnical aspects of this sport.

Len in Maryland 05-14-2007 12:34 PM

Little Chief:

Sorry about the bright colors. I'll watch that from now on. The reason I use colors is to quickly recognize my posts. I'm so busy that it aids me in doing a quick review of a thread. Also, I like a little color in my life. At my age that's a big deal.:D

Newman1:

You cannot win the debate with Len when it comes totechnical aspects of this sport.

Thank you for those kind words, but you know I love debates because I've learned from them. Many times I've commended people for showing me a different approach. I want people/customers to challenge me. It really makes me bear down with the 'thinking cap' at times.

Hard-nosed? Yea. C.O.F.? Yea. Always willing to learn? Absolutely!