HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow Squaring? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/190803-arrow-squaring.html)

LittleChief 05-14-2007 12:44 PM

RE: Arrow Squaring?

Len,
No need to apologize at all. It's my problem, not yours. Besides, I can make it out with a little effort.;)

MDBUCKHUNTER 05-14-2007 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Sometimes it's best to put a piece of white paper behind the object being viewed. Having this sort of background will aid in seeing any variances.

I do something like this. I take 3x5 index cards,with blue lines on them, and put one under each end of the arrow when I spin it. I line up the shaft with one of the lines and then spin and that gives me a very good visual concerning the straightness on each end.

Good suggestion, I am spinning my arrows right now! I just might have to try this.

MDBUCKHUNTER 05-14-2007 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: newman1

You two guys are way wrong in your assessment of who and what Len is about.He is a "HUNTER"not a competition shooter.Although he could probably hold his own with most,both left and right handed.As stated he does not not "push" products on customers at all.It seems when Len or a few other people state facts on this forum with the knowledge and experience to back up their statements there are always people who want to bash.If you can't handle the"facts" then don't read anything that Len has to say.You cannot win the debate with Len when it comes totechnical aspects of this sport.
WOW....you're crazy.

Len, if I offended you because I dissagree with some of the thingsyou said, I sincerely apologize. I certainly didn't mean to get personal here. Sometimes I get caught up in the moment.

And I agree...on to the regular scheduled program!

davepjr71 05-14-2007 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: newman1

You two guys are way wrong in your assessment of who and what Len is about.He is a "HUNTER"not a competition shooter.Although he could probably hold his own with most,both left and right handed.As stated he does not not "push" products on customers at all.It seems when Len or a few other people state facts on this forum with the knowledge and experience to back up their statements there are always people who want to bash.If you can't handle the"facts" then don't read anything that Len has to say.You cannot win the debate with Len when it comes totechnical aspects of this sport.
Again, please show were I bashed Len? Some of you guys get so riled up when someone questions something that you say. Or, god forbid disagrees with someone and forms their own opinion. Right or wrong.You automatically start bashing us for being buffoons when it comes to archery because we are not 4 yr members.

I openly listen to what Len says as well as others and don't get all bent out of shape over it. The issue is dead as far as Len & I are concerned so leave it dead.

As far as the ASD. I've found at least 3 or 4 articals by reputable writers, shop owners and shooters that recommend the use of this product for tuning an arrow. Will it fix all of your problems? No, obviously if the shaft is way out of wach or the broadhead is it will not help at all.

Len,

I personally like your response to newman. If people do not question there is no way we can move forward as a society. Follow blindly and we get nowhere. It's better to question and be proven wrong than to listen to something that is wrong and never question.

Rickmur 05-14-2007 06:32 PM

It's better to question and be proven wrong than to listen to something that is wrong and never question.
Very good quote Dave. I'll have to save that one.

davepjr71 05-14-2007 06:39 PM

Rick,

You stole my quote. hahaha. It's probably the best one I'll ever come up with too.

Rickmur 05-14-2007 06:49 PM

It was so good i did steal it, want it back ?

davepjr71 05-14-2007 07:27 PM

No no, just kidding. Glad I could add something to this forum.:D

gibblet 05-16-2007 05:57 AM

something in this thread is bothering me. seems to be a little bit of prejudice against target shooters among some who don't really do it. someone (len) even said something like 'the best shooters in the world - hunters'.this seems to be a point mosthave agreed on in this thread. not sure why this is bothering me - except i don't get it. i'm lucky enough to shoot with or just in front of or behind one of the best in the world sometimes - because he's not to far away and we have mutual friends - and he can bust nocks off arrows at will from 50 yards - at will. he wins pretty much every asa known distance shoot, and 2 of the national shoots from pro class this year. len may be able to beat him shooting a right handed bow left handed - maybe - but that's it, and w/ 5 minutes practice - i doubt it. there isn't one person here who can touch him - at anything, anywhere, or in any conditions, or footing,that has to do w/ shooting arrows.i doubt there's one person herewho could beat hisgirlfriend at any form of archery either. if you could, you'd be doing it.

also, want to learn about bows? tuning, shimming, what bow companies bows need to have the axles replaced straight from the factory, packing limb pockets... and lots of stuff not many have even heard of - find a good spot shooter or 3d shooter. i'm lucky. i get to see these guys bows and talk to them. i get to find out what they do, and how they do it.
the reality is - these guys are better and know much more than just about any hunt only folks you'll ever find, more about tuning and form, and they have access to folks many of us have never heard of - folks who make a living having the best shooters in the world visit for coaching.

any way - its a myth - hunters are no where near the best shots, shooters, or tuners around - and its not even close. don't fool yourselves.

BobCo19-65 05-16-2007 10:44 AM

there isn't one person here who can touch him - at anything, anywhere, or in any conditions, or footing,that has to do w/ shooting arrows.i doubt there's one person herewho could beat hisgirlfriend at any form of archery either.
Wow, doeshe (don't know who he is)and and his girlfriend mind you speaking for them as such on public forum? - Just wondering....Not that it has anything to do with the topic.

davepjr71 05-16-2007 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

there isn't one person here who can touch him - at anything, anywhere, or in any conditions, or footing,that has to do w/ shooting arrows.i doubt there's one person herewho could beat hisgirlfriend at any form of archery either. if you could, you'd be doing it.

No disrespect gibblet but by your reasoning the only good shooters shoot league? That statement really doesn't make sense andis very inaccurate. Maybe this is the elitist attitude that people were telling me about? If you don't shoot target you just can't be that good or know your stuff.

There are many great shooters who do not prefer the league scene or do not crave accolades when it comes to their skills.They shoot because they love to shoot and because they want to be as accurate as possible for that time when theyshoot at a live animal.For every good competition shooter there probably is 10 guys that like to shoot for the fun of it that are just as good.

MDBUCKHUNTER 05-16-2007 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

something in this thread is bothering me. seems to be a little bit of prejudice against target shooters among some who don't really do it. someone (len) even said something like 'the best shooters in the world - hunters'.this seems to be a point mosthave agreed on in this thread. not sure why this is bothering me - except i don't get it. i'm lucky enough to shoot with or just in front of or behind one of the best in the world sometimes - because he's not to far away and we have mutual friends - and he can bust nocks off arrows at will from 50 yards - at will. he wins pretty much every asa known distance shoot, and 2 of the national shoots from pro class this year. len may be able to beat him shooting a right handed bow left handed - maybe - but that's it, and w/ 5 minutes practice - i doubt it. there isn't one person here who can touch him - at anything, anywhere, or in any conditions, or footing,that has to do w/ shooting arrows.i doubt there's one person herewho could beat hisgirlfriend at any form of archery either. if you could, you'd be doing it.

any way - its a myth - hunters are no where near the best shots, shooters, or tuners around - and its not even close. don't fool yourselves.
This is a tough one here. (and we are so far off topic it is rediculous!)

In some respects it is like comparing apples to oranges.

How can we compare a target shooter to a hunter when they are in different arenas, use different equipment and have different mentalities?

gibblet 05-16-2007 03:40 PM

dave, ever been around any guys that are top5 in the world in the pro class of 3d?i've gotten to shoot w/ a coupleof them. you just don't have any idea what i'm saying until you see it for yourself.

Rickmur 05-16-2007 04:07 PM

Good job Gibbit. And I don't mean with the contest of you post but rather of a hyjack. This would have been a good topic on it'sown and in it's own thread probally with many replies heated or not. Now as it is if the moderaters decide to do thier job it will end with a short life here in this thread as being off topic. Maybe you should copy and paste your threadin another thread of it's ownand delete this one with an edit to see your new oneand reference this one within it. Just a thought;).

davepjr71 05-16-2007 04:54 PM

What I'm saying is that there are probably guys better than the top 5 you are talking about that never enter a competition. Your rational is that only the best compete or if you were good enough you'd compete. That's not always the case. That's all I'm trying to say.

The place I shoot at has world class shooters. However, I could care less about that and don't go around asking themwho they are and how they high they are ranked. I've just been told by others who've asked me to join.

JOE PA 05-16-2007 05:03 PM

Hey gibblet (John). Does that shooter use the ASD?[8D]

How's that for back to topic?:D

LouisianaTomkat 05-16-2007 05:05 PM

Evidently there is very little knowledge here as to the original question. I do appreciate those who contributed and tried to help increase my knowledge of this procedure. Thanks.

Now, I must address the latter portion of this thread. Gib, I for one think awfully highly of you and your knowledge of string making, ect. I also believe you are pretty knowledgable concerning bows and shooting in general. Now, to say things about Pro 3d shooters as you did is kinda a moot point to me. I mean it's kinda like saying Bubba Gump could never play guitar like Eric Clapton. Well, that's because Eric gave himself to learning his instrument and art and Bubba, well, Bubba knows shrimp. That is the why Pro Shooters shoot so well. At the same time though, there are those who are, how should I say more well rounded at shooting than Pro Shooters. These "hunters" practice enough in real life hunting situations and scenarios that a 3D Shooter might not have the nads to pull it off when one of these guys could. Not saying they are better shots, just more rounded in their knowledge of shooting/shot palcement ect. As far as a pro shop owner/hunter being as good or better at shooting, well maybe he's not. But, at the same time, I feel he has probably dealt with more shooting/tuning/repairing/restringing/problem solving than any 3D Shooter will ever encounter. 2 different breeds of people we are talking about I guess you could say. Just my 2c, and now, quit playing Al Quida and go hijack someone else.[8D]

Len in Maryland 05-16-2007 05:32 PM

John:

I'll gladly commentaboutyour concernsif you care to makeyour subject a separate thread.

Good shooting and good hunting,;)

Len

bigzombee69 05-16-2007 06:23 PM

Is this the thread to bash on Len, or is someone gonna make a new one. I could move up from fawn to addicted to HNI real quick on a topic like that...

Just kiddin.

MDBUCKHUNTER 05-16-2007 06:42 PM

lol, the Mods should just trash this thread and we can all start over now that we are all best friends! :D

gibblet 05-17-2007 05:32 AM

where do you guys get the idea these folks don't hunt? and no, hunters have never run into the tuning that goes on in the upper circles of the 3d world. not even close there either. being a good shot is a tiny part of hunting.

edit: and if you'll notice louisianna tomkat - i did answer what you do w/ a asd, and what i use when i don't use it. i'm one of the few that did. the other issue, a percieved or misperceived prejudice against target shooters which i believe is really just not understanding from most - well it bugged me, and its been soooooo slow and boring around here - it seemed like a good one to get into. i liked your bubba analogy too. however, he could shoot shrimp w/ a bow, but that scene got cut.

AllenRead 05-17-2007 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

What I'm saying is that there are probably guys better than the top 5 you are talking about that never enter a competition.

Dave, I completely disagree with that statement. There areNO shooters in the worldBETTER than the top tournement shooters.

If you think that there may be, you just don't understand what it takes to get to that level.

There willNEVER be an unheard of"backyard joe"whosuddenly pops up to win one of the major tournements.

By the way, all of the top American tournement shooters are also hunters and from all reports, they do quite well at it. Many of the top foreign shooters just don't have hunting available to them.

burniegoeasily 05-17-2007 07:19 AM

Wow, this thread has had its twists and turns. But back to the topic, Ive never had any problem with carbons. I just make sure my arrow saws a perfectly square. I have found carbons to be much easier than the old day of wood and alluminum. Like Dave has mentioned, the alluminum could be a pain in the butt, as for carbon, no problem.

Rick James 05-17-2007 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

What I'm saying is that there are probably guys better than the top 5 you are talking about that never enter a competition.

Dave, I completely disagree with that statement. There areNO shooters in the worldBETTER than the top tournement shooters.

If you think that there may be, you just don't understand what it takes to get to that level.

There willNEVER be an unheard of"backyard joe"whosuddenly pops up to win one of the major tournements.

By the way, all of the top American tournement shooters are also hunters and from all reports, they do quite well at it. Many of the top foreign shooters just don't have hunting available to them.
agreed 100%.

davepjr71 05-17-2007 09:08 AM

You guys are obviously not getting my point. Some guys do not feel like shooting in competitions and it's an elitist attitude to think that the best "shooters" in the world all shoot competition.

That applies to any sport or competition. There are just guys that enjoy shooting and do not prefer competitions to prove anything.

AndI know what it takes to reach a top level in anything. But you do not have to compete to prove it.

LouisianaTomkat 05-17-2007 05:28 PM

Complete BS. This is an opinion based on what you have seen or heard. Do you honestly think you know every archer (whether backyard or hunter) in the world and their capabilities. I seriously doubt it. To make these type of "factual" statements is ludicrous. I would bet there are many, many people in this world who are better than others in the professional realm who just don't care to compete. Whether actors, sport players, archers, drivers, carpenters, ect., it does not really matter if we know them or the world knows them. To some, modesty in their ability is worth more than the accolades of egotistical morons.

LT

davepjr71 05-17-2007 06:41 PM

Thank you for someone else finally stepping up and solidifying what I've been saying.

JOE PA 05-17-2007 08:39 PM

I'm sure there are lots of guys who don't shoot competition that are pretty good. They might be better than a few of the bottom level pros I guess. I don't know if they use an arrow squaring device or not though.

Otherwise, weekend dirt tracker can step in a Gibbs or Hendrick car, and finish in the top 5 of a cup race. Local golf pro can go to Agusta, and clean up over Tiger, Phil, etc. Good local shooter can take care of Hopkins if he wants. Sherr![8D][&:]

davepjr71 05-18-2007 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

I'm sure there are lots of guys who don't shoot competition that are pretty good. They might be better than a few of the bottom level pros I guess. I don't know if they use an arrow squaring device or not though.

Otherwise, weekend dirt tracker can step in a Gibbs or Hendrick car, and finish in the top 5 of a cup race. Local golf pro can go to Agusta, and clean up over Tiger, Phil, etc. Good local shooter can take care of Hopkins if he wants. Sherr![8D][&:]
Believe it or not. There probably is. They'll just never get that opportunity due to not having the funds or connections to enter such events. If you only believe that the guys you see on TV are the best than you are truly mistaken. There are guys that play basketball on hard court that are better than many NBA stars. You hear all the time about some bag boy becoming a starter in the NFL. Golfers enter Q school and win pro tourneys, etc.The list goes on and on.

gibblet 05-18-2007 05:38 PM

i know 1 guy that can shoot spots w/ chance but doesn't compete - because he can't take the mental aspect of competing. he shoots w/ the most perfect form anyone who's seen him shoot has ever seen. everyone in archery seriously knows who he is. its too tough mentally on him. but he has no problem laying big deer down brotha. much easier to lay a deer down than win vegas mentally and emotionally.

dave, you're so wrong cuz. when you find yoda in the woodswhocan judge yardage to the half yard out to 50yards, and who's bad arrows are only 2" off from 60 yards- tell him i know how he can make a prettyfat living.

davepjr71 05-18-2007 05:39 PM

Only if he wants or can afford to compete. ;)

MDBUCKHUNTER 05-18-2007 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

There areNO shooters in the worldBETTER than the top tournement shooters.

I have tried to avoid getting back into this topic but c'mon!

I am voting this the dumbest thing I have ever read. How can you say such statements when you obviously don't know every archer out there.

bigzombee69 05-18-2007 06:56 PM

Does anyone know what the starting topic was?
I thought it was about squarin arrows. Do I need to do this with outserts or does it matter?

davepjr71 05-18-2007 07:07 PM

bigzombee69,

The squaring has purpose on outserts as well as inserts. I'm not sure how you would do outserts.

I'm not sure how the ASD would work on outserts. The arrow rests on 2 places on the ASD.3/8" from end of insert/outsert and then a few inches down the shaft

If the outsert is larger than the arrow shaft itself the arrow would not rest on the bottom of the tool and therefore would not be square with the shaft.

gibblet 05-18-2007 07:11 PM

i know kurt warner was a college qb before bagging groceries.