Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rests

Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rests

Bryan,

I tried all those rests because I had just gotten a new bow and wanted to try "the lastest and greatest" after having shot a Star Hunter and SuperStar for about 10 years. I happened to be employed in the archery dept. at a Gnader Mt. store and had access to a lot of drop away rests so I put them on to see what I might like.

Well, frankly I could care less for any that have a cord tied to the down cable. I think it's a real Mickey Mouse affair for the money. The timing can change pretty drastically on them unless good aftermarket (low.no creep) strings and cables are used.

Couple that to the fact that I shoot Martin bows with the X System and just don't need another cord possibly throwing off the cam timing and I settled on a Trapdoor, which is on it's 3rd bow to date---my hunting bow.

The only other one I tried and liked was the GKF Infiniti which I attached the cord to a cable slide I robbed from the Vital Bow Gear dropper. Since then I've sold that bow so the rest is in the drawer awaiting another candidate to get attached to.

For my target and 3D bows I use a simple no nonsense Trophy Taker Spring Steel. It, like the Star Hunter in that I set it, tune it and lock it. No muss, no fuss. In fact, I just changed the prongs on the SuperStar to a blade like the TT and that's on my new Pantera (3D).

I've never, in over 30 years of shooting had a fletching clearnace issue that I couldn't resolve so why add something with moving parts that I don't need.

Containment rests such as the Whisker Bisquit are pretty simple too, but can have issues. The biggest being that because the arrow is surrounded by the rest a shooter must concentrate more on a good follow through, aiming until the arrow is completely gone. If the bow moves prior to the arrow leaving the bow the arrow will go that way, too.. And goodness knows, we don't always make perfect shots every time, especially in hunting situations.

Not that any are more accurate than another, but some have properties that lend themslves to not emphasizing my mistakes.

So now that I've rambled on, the answer to your question is that, yes, I like to play around and draw my own conclusion about things.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool, I wish I had that kind of opportunity to tinker and try stuff out. Being a lefty and not working in a pro shop limits my resources.

I used to shoot the Trap Door in its original version. It was a pretty good rest. The one thing that did bother me was that if I ever needed a follow up shot or missed and got a second shot I would have to reset the rest. If in the heat of the moment I was able to get this done the rest had a pretty loud click when set that I worried would spook game. Fortunately, I never had to test these theories, and the rest went when I sold that bow, but it was always on my mind.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered a QAD Ultra rest about 2 hrs ago. I've had a WB on my bow since I bought it 2 months ago and like BG is saying. When my form is good the thing shoots centers out of targets. However, if I drop my arm a little too fast or raise a little too quick I get a stray off by a few inches. That doesn't mean that I will stop working on proper form though. There's no substitute for that.

Maybe by the time hunting sseason starts again my form will be solid andI may try the rest again. It was accurate and did the jobI wanted it to do with little parts to cause issues.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

I just put a Vapor Trail Limb Driver on my bow this morning. Exceptional results! I REALLY like the idea of the chord mechanismbeing attached to the limb instead of a cable. A measurement for center shot, one for nock set to get started were all it took. First arrow (bare shaft) bullet hole. Then for clearance check (hold your breath time here!). Bullet hole! I can't say enough about the Limb Driver!
Old 04-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Just back in from shooting. The more I shoot that Limb Driver, the better I like it! I was getting nice tight groups and arrow flight to die for! The Vapor Trail Limb Driver has an avid supporter!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

Just back in from shooting. The more I shoot that Limb Driver, the better I like it! I was getting nice tight groups and arrow flight to die for! The Vapor Trail Limb Driver has an avid supporter!
Good to hear, I am really leaning towards getting one when I purchase my new bow.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Typical Buck

I have tried nearly as many rests as BG has (also have the archery shop hookup ).

This past season I decided to give the Limbdriver a try and was sold on it soon after that.

When it comes to new technology and archery I am a skeptic, but a techno-junkie as well. I have given nearly every gimmick a try and have a box full of rests that were supposed to be the best invention since the wheel but failed to deliver. The Limbdriver is not one of them.

It has been by far the most consistent and easy to time/tune drop away that I have ever used. After 6 months (and a caribou trip to northern Quebec) the timing on my limbdriver is still the same as it was when I set it up.

I have heard some people complain about the length of the cable going to the top limb. Comments like "It is too easy to get hung up in a branch", "It will get in the way", etc.... To that end, I have not had a single problem. Even if I were to hang up and break the cable, the rest can still be shot as a standard prong rest. Once the cable is removed it works identically to a TM Hunter.

IMHO, it ranks up there with Spot Hogg sights as one of the best acessories you can put on your bow.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Spike

My vote goes with the Muzzy Zero Effect. It is a nice hook style drop away that has worked very very well for me in both hunting and 3D tourney applications.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The biscuit is the most trouble free hunting rest you will ever see.There is nothing to go wrong with it.Drop away rests have moving parts or rely on something to trigger them--if a deer comes my way,i know the W.B WILL perform!Last year i had a dropaway on my bow and found out AFTER i missed a chance at the best buck of the season,that my dropaway wasn't working like i thought it was.I knew better but had to try one of the latest,greatest rests and missed my chance because of it--not gonna happen again.[:@]The biscuit is the BEST for hunting.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txrvrbttmstlkr

My vote goes with the Muzzy Zero Effect. It is a nice hook style drop away that has worked very very well for me in both hunting and 3D tourney applications.
I have a Zero Effect on my old (2003) Pearson Freedom. The only thing I can say bad about it is that the hook is way too long, but then a pair of wire cutters takes care of that real quick. Just snip off about an inch.

The only reason I don't use one now is that it just doesn't adapt very well to a bow without a cable guard, like my Martin's with Xsystem.

Bryan, as much bad press as the Trap Door gets I still like it better than most drop aways. There are guys that say it drops too soon and others say it doesn't drop at all. I guess this does happen and I won't dispute it, but with anything man-made there always apt to be some failures here and there.

One of the reasons I like to do my own testing is that I could get information on these threads, but you never know the experience level of the person making comments. You might run into someone who has only ever used one or two rests and the one that doesn't work is junk to him. Maybe he doesn't know how to adjust it. Maybe he doesn't even know how to adjust his limb bolts. Who knows?

Quick Reply: Rests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.