HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Question about stagerd veins (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/189532-question-about-stagerd-veins.html)

ttltaxidermy 04-25-2007 07:34 AM

Question about stagerd veins

I was watching bowtechs adventures last night and saw the host with a setup I have never seen, I am not sure if it was an arrow wrap or what, but all the veins (looked like blazers)were stagerd. One was about 1 1/2-2 inches in front of the other and so on. I am not sure if they were straight or offset or helicaled at all, but I was wondering if anyone has used this setup before and are there any advantages to it? I shoot blazers that are offset a little and am shooting very well, but I am always looking to improve myself and my confidence. Any responses would be great, thanks,,,,,,,,,ttl

Rookie Bowhunter 04-25-2007 01:15 PM

RE: Question about stagerd veins

I also saw that and would like to try it...don't know what is the effect but it looks very cool!

[8D]

98Redline 04-25-2007 02:37 PM

This issue comes up every year or so.

The idea was that the staggered vanes supposedly improved stability, however in practical expereince, nobody was ever able to prove that they work any better than a normal fletch job.

passthru79 04-25-2007 04:39 PM

As far as I know, one of the rules of thumb for fletching arrows was to make sure the front of all the fletches lined up. I cant imagin stagering them that much could be good, and seriously doubt it would help at all for arrow flight.

Buckfeveragain1969 05-22-2007 05:51 AM

From what I have seen staggering them works.But the arrows i have seen shot were very noisy

Soilarch 05-24-2007 07:09 AM

The consensous I've heard is that they don't hurt and they don't help...can't really prove anything either way.

Pros that I can come up with
-keeping a vane off your face it that bothers you
-looks neat
-lets you manipulate FOC just a little more

Cons
-may make it harder to pull out of target if you're going real deep into it
-one more thing to mess up and take from consistancy when building arrows
-may cause some clearance issues with a drop-away

It's all a toss-up in my book...and I've got a sneaky suspision that is just comes down to whether you like the look or not. Try it and see if you like it!

Black Frog 05-24-2007 08:40 AM

If you do staggered vanes, you'll get a LOT of questions about itfrom people at the range! ;)

dandbuck 05-24-2007 08:54 AM

Can someone put some pics on here with staggered blazers? Would love to try that sometime.
Dandbuck

Black Frog 05-24-2007 09:04 AM

Here's an example. Some people stagger their vanes less than this also.

dandbuck 05-24-2007 09:09 AM

Cool! You need to do red, white, and blue tiger stripes with a stagger like that. Or maybe the Ted Nugent white zebra stripe with wraps!!
Dandbuck