HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Increase arrow weight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/189462-increase-arrow-weight.html)

fillae 04-24-2007 05:04 PM

Increase arrow weight

After reading many posts here, I've decided I want to increase my arrow weight. Here is my current setup.

Reflex Highlander
55 lb draw weight
30 in draw lenght
3555 Gold Tip XT Hunters - 28.5 AMO length
100 gr tips
4 inch vanes (although I plan on switching to 2 in blazers with new setup)

By my calculations, my current arrow weight is 334.9 grains. I would like to get this as close to 400 gr as possible. I want to be set up to Elk Hunt along with my whitetail hunting. I actually think my current arrows are under splined (at least according to the Gold Tip charts), but that is what my archery shop set me up with.

Here is what I planned to do. I want to up my draw weight to 60 lbs (that's max for my limbs), and then switch to the 5575's. That would put me at 357.7 grains, 382.7 if I also move up to 125 gr tips. Would I be over-splined with that? With my draw length I have room to increase my arrow length as well to help reduce spline. I thought I would move up to 28.75 or 29 in arrow length.

Am I on the right track here? I shoot well with my current setup, but I think I am a bit light. Also, would moving up my draw weight and arrow weight at the same time keep my arrow speed roughly the same (I don't know what my current arrow speed is)?

Thanks!

Straightarrow 04-25-2007 04:32 AM

RE: Increase arrow weight

Shooting with a 30" draw, will probably leave a 5575 weak with a 125 gr tip. My recommendation would be to go to the 7595 and while using a full length arrow, add tip weight until it spines perfectly. You'll have to bareshaft test to determine this. Of course, you'll have to also do all testing and tuning at 60 lbs. Gold tip makes it easy to adjust tip weight. They have insert weight in 10 grain increments that you can add without changing your broadhead.

To get the perfect arrow, you have to pay no attention to the final weight, you have to tune the arrow to it's best shooting characteristics. It's final weight is whatever it is. Higher tip weights raise the FOC, increasing stability and penetration. The stiffer 7595 will allow this. If you go with the 5575, you'll have to cut it shorter, reduce tip weight or reduce draw weight to end up with it's ideal flight. For hunting elk, I recommend going with the stiffer arrow and higher FOC.

fillae 04-25-2007 08:00 AM

Straightarrow,

Thanks for the input. I am a little confused though (it happens from time to time). If I am splined correctly now using the 3555's, why would I be weak with the 5575's. Would it be mostly due to increasing my draw weight up to 60 lbs? I guess I'm confused because looking at the sizing chart on Gold Tip's site (http://www.goldtip.com/downloads/2006sizing-chart.pdf) would have me using the 5575's (assuming the 100 gr tips). I guess it actually would have me with 7595's if I went with 125 gr tips and increased my arrow length to 29".

Another question, you mentioned checking the spine with a full length arrow and bareshaft. Are you referring to paper tuning here? I'm hesitant to doing full length testing because I don't have an arrow saw (unless I can use my Dewalt mitre saw with a metal cut-off blade). I was hoping I could take the known quantities (draw weight, tip weight, insert weight, etc) to determine the proper arrow stiffness and length. I guess that was too simplistic on my part.

ijimmy 04-25-2007 08:15 AM

Dont worry about speed , get a heavy arrow , 60 lbs and a 30 inch draw is plenty of power but chouse your arrow and broadhead carefully , elk can be a 1000 pound animal with thick hide and bones and mud caked on them , they are not whitetail deer . You are underspined as is , uping your draw weight and lengthing your arrows add to that .
I'll be in the elk woods come september also , with a 500 grain plus arrow , with a simmons landshark 160 grain 2 blade head , looking for a passthru at around 230-240 fps , and quiet .

fillae 04-25-2007 08:21 AM

Sorry, I've been saying spline, but I mean spine :)

Straightarrow 04-25-2007 01:20 PM

fillae, you are likely under spined with your currrent setup. Adding draw weight requires more stiffness. Adding a heavier tip also requires more stiffness. Using a longer arrow weakens spine. Gold tips chart is a basic guideline and if you follow it, you'll often end up with a weak shaft. There are lots of subtle issues it doesn't take into account. For instance, different cams require various stiffness. Draw lengths are seldom exactly what's marked on the bow. Tip weights are often not exact. Vane weight and placement affect a bit too.

Bareshaft tuning is not the same as paper tuning. Bareshaft is done on a target at 20-30 yards. You group unfletched shafts, with fletched shafts. How the bareshafts hit in relation to the fletched ones, will tell you what you need to do to correct spine issues. Your bow should have centershot tuned perfectly before you start. Do an internet search on bareshaft tuning and you'll find lots of detailed guides. Too much detail to type out here.

fillae 04-25-2007 01:39 PM

Thanks Straightarrow. I've been doing a fair bit of research today. I have alot of work to do to get it all figured out, but I guess that is part of the fun. Thank you for getting me started!

fillae 04-25-2007 01:43 PM

One other question. Can I cut a carbon shaft with a compound mitre saw and a metal cutoff blade? How about a roto-zip or dremel?

Straightarrow 04-26-2007 04:05 AM

ORIGINAL: fillae

One other question. Can I cut a carbon shaft with a compound mitre saw and a metal cutoff blade? How about a roto-zip or dremel?
You have to spin the arrow while cutting, so I wouldn't recommend a mitre saw. I took a cheap 4" angle grinder and made my own jig to mount it in. The cut has to be perfectly square or you can have serious problems getting inserts straight and broadheads spinning perfectly.

doublelunginem 04-26-2007 09:44 AM

I would try the Maxima Hunter 350's.....i have them at 28", with 100 grain tips, they weigh 390 grains.....I dont shoot them, but I have them. Great arrows though, tough as nails, and fly awesome.

Or try the Axis 400....at 28" with 100 grain tip and 2" blazers, you should be right around 400 grains. These arrows have great penetration and fly great as well.

Both arrows should be spined correctly at that length if not on the stiff side with the 350's.

Just my $.02