Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Most Overlooked Aspect of Bow Tuning? >

Most Overlooked Aspect of Bow Tuning?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Most Overlooked Aspect of Bow Tuning?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Most Overlooked Aspect of Bow Tuning?

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

Shooting form and bow torque are probably the most mis-understood amoung archers. It's easy to blame the equipment!
Unfortunately, I'm living proof of that statement!!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 AM

There are many small details in tuning that can help if addressed and corrected. However, for most shooters tuning the bow and arrows is a very small part of accuracy. I think that arrow flight is important for hunters since it is a part of good penetration.

But for accuracy, you only need a bow that you can shoot and well matched arrows. The arrows don't need to be precisely matched to the bow, just matched to each other andapproximately matched to the bow.

The most overlooked aspect of tuning? IMHO it's nock straightness. When I got a tool to precisely measure nock straighness, my league scores increased by almost 10 points. I won't tell you the exact numbers, but let's just say that I still have an opportunity to demonstrate the value of self coaching

In Roscoe's first post of this tread, I don't think that a half turn would account for the improvement in group size. Perhaps he hit on a sweet spot in his draw length. That may account for the improvement, but I don't think that much improvement can be attributed to fine tuning arrow spine unless there is something else going on with the bow, such as fletching contact.

I do agree with WKB Todd and Tfox about the loose nut on the release.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most overlooked aspect of tuning? IMHO it's nock straightness. When I got a tool to precisely measure nock straighness, my league scores increased by almost 10 points. I won't tell you the exact numbers, but let's just say that I still have an opportunity to demonstrate the value of self coaching
What tool are you referring to? I'd like to pick one up.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 AM

Come to Len's tuning seminar. I'll be happy to show it to you there.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

There are many small details in tuning that can help if addressed and corrected. However, for most shooters tuning the bow and arrows is a very small part of accuracy. I think that arrow flight is important for hunters since it is a part of good penetration.

But for accuracy, you only need a bow that you can shoot and well matched arrows. The arrows don't need to be precisely matched to the bow, just matched to each other andapproximately matched to the bow.

In Roscoe's first post of this tread, I don't think that a half turn would account for the improvement in group size. Perhaps he hit on a sweet spot in his draw length. That may account for the improvement, but I don't think that much improvement can be attributed to fine tuning arrow spine unless there is something else going on with the bow, such as fletching contact.

I do agree with WKB Todd and Tfox about the loose nut on the release.

Totaly agree , hence the signature line .
This thread was titled "bow tuneing" , I guess most have included arrows with that , myself included ,but It definatly did not say anything about form .

I also agree with Alenread , I tell people to shoot arrows as close to identical as you can posably make them .
Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come to Len's tuning seminar. I'll be happy to show it to you there.
I'd love togo to one of those, but I can't see working that into my schedule. It's a long way from west Tennessee. I'll find something that'll do the job.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

LittleChief,

There are tools like the one I'm attaching the link to out there for aligning the nock that do not require a $200 seminar to purchase. I would think that either one straightens the nock in the process.

http://www.archerynocktools.com/

Apple nock alignment tool

http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=515
Old 04-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

LittleChief,

There are tools like the one I'm attaching the link to out there for aligning the nock that do not require a $200 seminar to purchase. I would think that either one straightens the nock in the process.

http://www.archerynocktools.com/

Apple nock alignment tool

http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=515
Thanks for the links. I would love to attend one of Len's seminars (or one of Len's anythings for that matter), but being from Idaho makes attending a bit difficult!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your welcome. We're all here todiscuss something we love to doand help each other out.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave,
Yes, thanks for the info. I'm having trouble getting my broadheads to hit consistently. There are onlytwo pro shops in the area, and now I don't have much faith in either one. As far as getting advice from Bass Pro, the only other choice in the area....[:@]. Yesterday I was told that it was critical to have the broadhead blades aligned with the fletching, AND that I could use a rubber 'O" ring to accomplish this!!! I ain't no rocket scientist, but I know better than that.

Quick Reply: Most Overlooked Aspect of Bow Tuning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.