Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Speaking of physics - STS thought >

Speaking of physics - STS thought

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Speaking of physics - STS thought

Old 04-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Default RE: Speaking of physics - STS thought

in da woods:
The noise level depends on more than who makes the rubber. Length of draw, weight of arrow, angle of string, type of string material, ata, tuneand a bunch of other items go into the formula for noise. I've heard them on Tributes and some were quiet anda fewwere not. It is really a case by case basis. But, those who sell them only tell you about the good things.

I had a guy from out of townask me one day what I thought of these devices. I proceeded to tell him the good and then the bad. After all, this is how I handle all my customers. He got mad when I told him about the bad and said that I was negative about everything. I told him not to ask me a question if he couldn't handle the truth.

The sounds that you get can be everything from a slap to a dull thud. The frequency can be of varying levels. Can DL make a difference? You bet it can. Can arrow weight make a difference? Again, the answer is yes.

HuntingEd:
First. you've got a PM. As far as adding cat whiskers, it might work; but, you're now back to adding weight to the string and it will be more centralized which might make one whisker detrimental the same as having two of them towards the axles. Something to think about and test. Good luck and let me know how it works.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver
It looks like to me that he doesn't have the STS anywhere near his string, thus, it is doing nothing for his bow. It should be against or just slightly off of your string at the resting position of the bow.Maybe not totally, but almosteliminating the string travel past the resting point. This will give you a smooth quick detachment from the nock, and in most cases, adds speed to your setup. I shoot a Switchback XT with an STS, and it shoots quiet, smooth and fast. I personally have seen no ill effects from the STS.
This person's STS is so far forward, that the string is in full forward position, and still isn't in contact with the STS, which should be positioned even with his string suppressors, but it looks like it's a good 2-3" in front of them!
Look at this picture, and it might change your opinion.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

The idea of dual string stops has been around formore than20 years, Quicksliver. This is the Bear Delta V, the original speed bow.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm not seeing it correct either, BUT excalibur, I don't see that the archer even has an STS of any kind on his bow in that pic. Looks like a couple of stabilizers, but no STS!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good call Arthur. Just like dropaway rests were tinkered around with many moons ago, the dual string dampener was probably a good idea that got lost in translation. That Delta V is a bow that I've always wanted. I have a thing for bizarre old bows, and the Delta is one that I'd love to get my hands on. That one in the picture isn't yours is it?

Excalibur: There is no STS installed on that matthews bow in the picture - just the factory dampeners attached by the cam and the wheel. I think you're either looking at the roller guard or the rear counter-weights on the guy's stabilizer. They actually are sticking out to either side. Now that I look at it, I guess that picture is a little deceiving.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, it's not mine, but I'd like to have one too. I got the pic from archeryhistory.com

I did find an old Rigid bow from the late 70's in a pawn shop here awhile back. I think it was the first bow that used what they now call "parallel limb technology." Everything old is new again.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't have one and based on some comments don't think I want one. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry. Looked Like an STS. I think it is a stabilizer.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I want one of those on my bow either. It looks like the arrow is gone by the time it is stopping any shock. To me it seems like you are only asking for problems with string wear.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Len, as usual, a very insightful post. I have found that as you have stated it is very subjective on how well the suppressor products work. Not just from one model bow to another, or even one set up to another, but literally from bow-to-bow. I have heard of situations where there will be almost identical set ups and guys will have differing experiences with string suppressors. What it boils down to is you have to try it yourself and adjust it to find the sweet spot. In some cases it may not work with your set up. If it does, it can be a nice addition, but by no means are they necessary. I personally like using them a lot, but if I got a bow that it would not work with I would be fine shooting without it.

Quick Reply: Speaking of physics - STS thought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.