Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Speaking of physics - STS thought >

Speaking of physics - STS thought

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Speaking of physics - STS thought

Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Default RE: Speaking of physics - STS thought

Len, here's a question regarding noise from the STS. I've heard that the "STS" brand supressor maybe a little noisier compared to the suppressor made by MeanV. Igot the one fromMeanV, & when shooting myTribute next to an identical Tribute, same rest, poundage, etc. the other shooternoticed that my bow was quieter. Could it be the rubber stopper used by Hoyt that may be producing noise. I did notice that the rubber on myCSS is very pliable. What do u think?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about a cable slide/STS system for the top?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Len, Wheres your shop??? Im looking for a more local proshop that i can trust. Im only bout 45 min from balt.

I've found the STS "slap" noise to be worse to the shooter and anyone standing behind the bow, as it reflects backwards. Used a video camera to record the shot and its a lot quieter from the front.

Also, Has anyone ever tried putting a cat whisker (fabric type) at the point of impact?? Ive got one of those rubber rings used between the nock and release at my point of impact w/ the STS and it helped a lot. Im thinking a cat whisker would be an amazing noise damper. (gonna try this!)
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mathews has already taken care of that with their string dampners.An added STS added to pick up any over ride by the string that may be left, is unnoticeable as far as unequal shock.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look at this picture, and it might change your opinion.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Looking at the pic of the Switchback just after releasing the arrow, the string seems to be going 2.5" past it's resting position.....

Could those 2.5" be considered powerstroke???

In other words, would 2 suppressors or even the one suppressor on Hoyt's bows actually be slowing the bow down? If you had a suppressor to cut that movement down to an 1" past the resting position, would that slow the bow down 10 fps just as dropping an inch off your draw length does???

Just thinking.....
Old 04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only way to totally stop correct the issue would be to install 2 V-channels lined with suppression material along the length of the string above and below the knock point and allow enough room for the fletching and arrow to pass thru. The channels would be mounted on at the end with spring steel to allow the string to move forward a little when the string hits it so that it does not try and throw the bow forward out of your hand.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

In other words, would 2 suppressors or even the one suppressor on Hoyt's bows actually be slowing the bow down? If you had a suppressor to cut that movement down to an 1" past the resting position, would that slow the bow down 10 fps just as dropping an inch off your draw length does???
Quite contrair, once the bow has passed the resting point, it is no longer producing forward energy, and that's why by installing an STS type dampner, some guys actually see a slight increase in arrow speed, breaks the arrow away from the string quick and clean!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gained 8 fps simply by adding the STS.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:50 PM

I have an STS on my Mathews SBXT and I like it alot.

Like most pieces of archery equipment, you need to play around with it a bit before you can find the best possible position on your bow.

Mine happens to be about 1/32" to 1/16" off the string.

I have my string served in that location to eliminate any wear and tare that might take place.

After a year of shooting with it, I am happy so far.

Quick Reply: Speaking of physics - STS thought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.