Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How to design an Extreme FOC hunting arrow >

How to design an Extreme FOC hunting arrow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to design an Extreme FOC hunting arrow

Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Default RE: How to design an Extreme FOC hunting arrow

AllenRead,

My experience with Extreme FOC arrows is quite limited at this point. It has been very positive, but not enough to warrant making your decision according to what I've experienced. However, Ashby's experience is far more extensive and all indications are that extreme FOC is a distinct benefit when not hitting heavy bone. In the heavy bone instance, heavy weight appears to be the overriding factor. It's easy enough to shoot an arrow that has both, which is what I've chosen to do. Weight tubes are probably not needed unless you want to get into the 700-900 grain range.

When designing the tip, you don't have to use heavy broadheads. You can choose to go with weighted inserts, inserts made of heavier metals, insert adapters or a combination of all of these. I'm also using the 220 grain Muzzy broadheads (200 gr w/out insert) on one of my setups. On another setup, I'm using 125 gr head, with a weighted insert and 100 grains of insert weights.

If you go to a supplier for traditional equipment, you can buy broadheads and fieldpoints in the higher weights very easily, but it's not necessary in many cases.

In my opinion, when hunting whitetails, heavy weight will be more beneficial than extreme FOC. If you hit the chest, you will make it through with almost anything. If you hit a heavy bone, it will likely take the heavy arrow (over 650 gr) to break the bone. Even so, consider the extreme FOC arrow if you're hunting larger game or if you want more stability in wind or when hitting twigs.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 AM

Thanks SA,

You make some good points about the inserts & weight.

Please keep us posted on your experiences with this,

Thanks,
Allen
Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

One way to make a pretty darn heavy carbon, without screwing up the spine too badly is to use a piece of insulated solid copper conductor out of some romex wire. Similar to the way some use string trimmer line as weight tubes.

With a single strand of insulated copper in my arrow from the back of the insert to the nock, I added 374gr to my 420gr arrow (794gr total). Overall the FOC stayed about the same (~11.5%).

If you go this route or decide to play around with this, I would recomend putting some heat shrink or electrical tape over the bare end of the copper wire so it does not eat away at the inside of your nock as you shoot it.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob, I'm curious about the tapered shafts. When you get them built, I'd appreaciate if you made a post on what the FOC turns out to be.
Sure will.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM

One way to make a pretty darn heavy carbon, without screwing up the spine too badly is to use a piece of insulated solid copper conductor out of some romex wire. Similar to the way some use string trimmer line as weight tubes.
Another thing I've found that works well is aquarium airline. I had some that fit perfect in my gold tips. It was tight enough that it didn't rattle or move and since it's hollow I could add another item to get them even heavier if I wanted. The airline was tight enough to actually increase spine a bit, which is good when you're adding a lot of weight to the tip. The stuff is super cheap, which is always good. The airline I added, was about 250 grains.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wait til' you guys see the 700gr beast I build up for my Black Widow with a 220gr Muzzy Phantom driving the train.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Thanks Straight Arrow.

This year I am going to try some tapered carbon arrows with my longbow. I have the shafts already but have not made the arrows up yet. Anyway, I plan on using a 70 grain brass front insert, and I have some 220 grain muzzy's that I'm going to try upfront. I'll have to actually calculate the FOC after they have been made. Should be interesting.

Bob,

I'm also curious about the tappered arrows you are making. I just ordered some tappered shafts too, so I am very intrigued as to how yours turn out....
Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Wait til' you guys see the 700gr beast I build up for my Black Widow with a 220gr Muzzy Phantom driving the train.
Matt, what arrow are you putting that bad-boy on, aluminum or carbon?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went on muzzys site looking for the broadhead you are useing but could not find it , but I did see they are makeing 100 grain brass inserts for eastons hit arrows , a full metal jacket arrow with these , and a heavy head should fit the bill nicely for the title for this thread
Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ijimmy, look here:

here

Quick Reply: How to design an Extreme FOC hunting arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.