Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting In

Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Sighting In

Hello, The new guy here again! I had just gotten a new sight for my bow! This sight is calibrated on the sight itself, my first sight wasn't (el cheapo)! So when sighting in, do you adjust by moving the pins themselves or do you adjust by moving the sight using the markings on the sight? Would greatly appreciate any advice, THANK YOU!!!!!

Rich
Old 04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sighting In

Well you'll have to set each pin first to get the gap between them. After that you can move the whole gang up or down to get your impact correct. If you're shooting a peep, which gives a lot better accuracy here's what you want to end up with. Imagine this picture as The Black ring your peep site opening, the yellow ring is the guard around your pins and the 3 small circles of course are your pins. You want to end up with your pins(however many you have( centered in the sight housing, the yellow ring. So if you have 3 pins your second pin is dead center. If you had 5 pins your third pin should be dead center. Once you get a gap set between the first and the second pins the rest can be set very closely just by eyeballing. THose of us that have sighted in a lot of bows can pretty much set the gaps with out shooting. Then all we have to do is move the whole sight bracket up or down to get on target and then do a little fine tuning. When you're all done and want to shoot at something you should see this picture below. Peep, sight bracket centered in the peep and all pins of course have been centered in the sight bracket. You then simply move this whole picture to place the desired pin on the spot you're shooting at. You don't want to cent a particular pin in the peep, you want to center all your pins in the peep and move your arm to place the correct pin over your target or critter.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always just use the gang adjustment to get my first pin dialed in then you can just move each individual pin for further distances. For example use your major adjustments to get your 20 yard pin sighted in and then adjust the next pin for thirty and the next for 40 and so on and so forth.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Then you're centering each pin in the peep for shooting aren't you. I mean, you don't center your pin group in your sight bracket?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I center my sight ring in my peep. I usualy start off with my top pin set fairly high in the ring to start with, well at least on my 6 pin sight I do. That way I have plenty of room to get the other 5 pins set.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 PM

I center each pin on the shot....everyone I hunt with or shoot with does too.....
When I first started shooting, I thought you were supposed to center the whole group with your ring around the pins being centered in your peep as you do, but several people told me not to. I dont know why, I just did what they said...

Why do you center the whole pin group? What are the advantages of that over centering each pin?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

When your using a large peep sight, its hard to get a small pin exactly centered. Its easier to center the whole sight ring and then place the pin on your target. I takes a litte getting use to but I find it much more consistant and using the larger peep it helps in low light conditions.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 PM

I use a 1/4" peep I believe.....i figure it to be small, as I compare to other peoples rigs. It's small enough that I can't see the whole scope ring in it, but I shoot with both eyes open and the sight picture is plenty visible. I havent had a problem centering single pins in it. Should I look into getting a bigger peep for light gathering and try to aim the way you are describing? Would it be worth it as I have already gotten used to shooting the way that I do?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats completely up to you. A 1/4 inch peep is plenty big, Im using an 1/8 inch. On my target sights I center the ring, on my hunting sights I just center the pin. It all depends on how big your sight ring is compared to your peep. If you comfortable in what your doing and having had any problems dont change.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: doublelunginem

I use a 1/4" peep I believe.....i figure it to be small, as I compare to other peoples rigs. It's small enough that I can't see the whole scope ring in it, but I shoot with both eyes open and the sight picture is plenty visible. I havent had a problem centering single pins in it. Should I look into getting a bigger peep for light gathering and try to aim the way you are describing? Would it be worth it as I have already gotten used to shooting the way that I do?
I use a 1/4'' peep also and center the ring in the peep. A 1/4" is large enough. I have found that moving the sight OUT, if you have another position available for the screws on the sight bracket will solve that problem.

Quick Reply: Sighting In

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.