HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Hoyt String Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/18751-hoyt-string-question.html)

bloodtrail1 12-14-2002 09:20 PM

Hoyt String Question

I have a 2003 Hoyt Razortec that I want to get a custom string made for. The guy who I want to have make it(George Bowman, Bowman Custom Strings) says he dosent do the Hoyt self alignment yoke system, but rather a regular split yoke type (thats what I call it) of setup. He says this way a person can "micro" tune the buss cable setup rather than the self alignment system Hoyt uses. What do you all think of that? Im not knowledgable enough on string systems to know if I should go along with it or not???? I wonder, if Hoyts engineers built the bows the way they did, there must be a good reason????? Do winners choice cables for Hoyts utilize the self alignment yoke system as Hoyt built it, or are they like the bowmans thinking on this???? Any input would be great!

hoytshooter69 12-15-2002 02:32 AM

RE: Hoyt String Question

Just about everyone uses the fixed system you are used to seeing. You really need a special armature to make the self adjusting cable yokes. I see no diiference in the way any of my 6 '02 hoyts shoot. I guess it personal preference. A machinist friend just made me a new armature just for this reason I am going t try the adjustablr yoke system on one and see if it tunes better or not.

BTM 12-15-2002 04:38 AM

My Accutec has the self-alignment system and is going fine after 10,000 shots.

Never trust a bow under 40 (inches).

Big Country 12-15-2002 04:05 PM

I`m not sure what hoytshooter is refering to concerning an armature?
I have been making my own strings for 15 years, and when I make strings for my hoyts I make them split yoke.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA

Bees 12-16-2002 08:19 AM

I have winners choice string and cables on my Havoctech, the cable is split at the yoke. Works well that way.

what is wrong with the orginal strings and cables? they can't be worn out already.

Edited by - bees on 12/16/2002 09:21:30

bloodtrail1 12-16-2002 06:59 PM

Bees: I ordered the string/cables today for my Razortec with the split yoke setup. The reason I ordered new was that Im getting 8125 string and cables out of Ultracam. This setup will (hopefully!) pickup some speed as compared to the factory string and will have alot less stretch and just be a better quality setup. The factory string/cables will be kept as "backup" in case of a emergency!

bloodtrail1 12-16-2002 06:59 PM

Bees: I ordered the string/cables today for my Razortec with the split yoke setup. The reason I ordered new was that Im getting 8125 string and cables out of Ultracam. This setup will (hopefully!) pickup some speed as compared to the factory string and will have alot less stretch and just be a better quality setup. The factory string/cables will be kept as "backup" in case of a emergency!

fredbearfan 12-18-2002 06:47 AM

My dealer told me that he would charge me $175 to outfit my 2002 Protec with Winners Choice strings.

I very much doubt that the advantages (speed, stretch, twist) are worth that price. I'll stay with the factory string setup.

Grndzer 12-18-2002 02:51 PM

Wow you are getting ripped! I got mine for 80.00 and that was installed.

IroquoisArcher 12-18-2002 05:05 PM

I make the majority (almost all except for 2 so far) in the split yoke. It is easier and more adjustable IMO (twist each end of the "Y" to get your fine tuning). I put 8125 material on my Striker 2 this year and made it up with the hanger and buss cable. By the armature I think he meant you need a smaller one then you would usually use. With my one I do strings with I can't make the 12" long hanger so I had to make one with 4" distance in between the posts. Don't know if this is true or not but I heard that Hoyt a few years ago quit serving the hanger/cable area saying this allows the bow to "find" the most optimum spot. Then I heard last year they went back to serving it saying it allowed for finer tuning.