HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   PROBLEM WITH DRENALIN (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/187362-problem-drenalin.html)

horse explosion 04-07-2007 12:53 AM

PROBLEM WITH DRENALIN

i just recently bought a drenalin. i have upgraded from a Diamond Justice. i set the drenaline up with a shoot through rest and stiring leeches a sure loc leathal weapon sight and of course a peep sight. i have a problem, i cant hit anything. every second shot is off. my question is this. is the drenaline super unforgiving hence any error in technique is eveident...or is one of my products causing inconsistency. are shoot through rests more tempremental to drop aways. as my diamond is set up with a drop away and i find it very accurate.

JOE PA 04-07-2007 05:00 AM

RE: PROBLEM WITH DRENALIN

There are some pretty savvy guys on this board who shoud be able to help you. Info about the arrows you are shooting, and the specs of your Dren would be most helpful. Shoot throughs may be a little less forgiving than a drop away, but the shoot through should be tunable and do a good job. You could have fletching contact. When your shots are off, is there a direction they are going, or is there no pattern? More info is needed for people to be able to help you. I guess the best thing would be to take it back to the shop where you bought it, since Mathews bows are pro shop only. The shop that sold you the bow should be able to help you out.:)

PreacherTony 04-07-2007 06:30 AM

horse, the Drenalin must be forgiving .... I find it hard to miss with mine ...

Len, Paul, TFOX, Rick James, Gibblet, and so many more will help ya

Paul L Mohr 04-07-2007 06:39 AM

A few questions to narrow things down. Are the same arrows missing or is it random? Number them and see. It could be a fletching contact issue and the nocks just need to be indexed slightly to fix it.

And when you say "shoot through" rest, what rest are we talking about? That leaves a lot of rests to think about, some have particular issues that others don't. It's ok to tell us the make and model of rest you use;).

Also bow specs would be nice. Draw length, peak draw weight, length of arrow, model and size of arrow and your tip weight would be nice. Although I doubt it's a spine issue, they would probably still group well if the spine was off, especially with target tips.

And it could very well be a form, grip or shooting technique problem. Maybe this bow is not set up the same as the other one, or your form and grip changed slightly and you don't know it. Inconsistant grip, inconsistant anchor point and dropping your arm will all cause this problem.

Or are you telling us that you own two bows, one shoots great and the other is all over the place? If this is the case it is an equipment issue and needs to be looked at. Two things off the bat would be something is loose, or you have bad fletching contact.

As far as the rest goes, I have just about every type of rest and they all shoot well when set up correctly. If anything some of the drop away rests that have overdraws to them are less forgiving than a decent prong rest. PROVIDING they are set up correctly. Drop aways have timing issues and prong rests have spring tension issues sometimes.

Oh, your arrows could be junk as well unless you are using the same arrow for both bows. Just because they are new doesn't mean anything, especially if they are cheap to mid priced carbons. Spin check those babies and make sure they are straight. Check the nocks and inserts as well when you spin them.

Paul

horse explosion 04-08-2007 12:48 PM

thanks for your extensive reply Paul.

more details:
50-60lb set at 60lb
27" draw length
rest: NAP quicktune 800
arrows: easton epic st with target tips (all straight) 28"

bow has been paper tuned
there is no vane contact
nothing loose on bow

i shot the bows side by side at 25yrds
justice grouped the same arrows one to two inches apart
drenalin could not get a consistent group ocassional shots would be more than 9" off. all arrows hit target straight on

the only thing i can put it to is the rest, i will be mounting a trophy ridge to the drenalin shortly as i am awaiting its arival. then if it doesn't help, the next step is to take it in to a pro shop.

i hope this will be resolved as i love the design on the bow, the smoth draw and how little it weighs. i also have a new black ice that i need set up which i can play with in the meantime.

KodiakArcher 04-08-2007 02:08 PM

Paper tuned at more than point blank range? I found that my Old Glory paper tuned very well after setting it up and eyeballing the center shot but when I got it to the range and broadhead tuned it the rest had to be moved in about 1/16". Could be due to a bunch of different factors but I suspect that you just need to do a little more fine tuning. Check the cam lean at static position and full draw.

Paul L Mohr 04-09-2007 03:51 PM

I don't think tuning is going to throw you off 9 freakin inches. Even with a bow severely out of tune if you have good form you should be able to group arrows fairly well at 20 yards.

Inconsistent shots are usually something being loose or poor form. If your other bow shoots well for you I am at a loss without seeing the bow and you shoot it. The quick tune 800 is a pretty simple rest. The only thing I could think of off hand that might be a problem would be rest tension, and that would effect up and down misses, but would still be fairly consistent unless you were getting fletching contact.

Unless maybe your spring tension is too weak and the arrow never comes all the way up to the same spot at full draw. If this were the case though when you nocked your arrow the rest would drop from the weight of it. If it doesn't do that I don't think that would be your problem.Possibly if you don't use a string loop there might be enough tension when you draw the bow to force the rest down some?

Check and make sure your rest is solid and not moving around from shot to shot, or your sights. These would be the two biggest culprits of misses of that size. I would also double and triple check that you don't have fletching contact with your rest, shelf, riser or harness and that your arrow are all indexed the same.

I would seriously find a good shop and tell them what is happening and see if they can figure it out. That big of disparity in groups should be something pretty obvious. I have shot vanes off from flipper rests and got more consistent groups than that;).

I really don't think it's something as simple as something being out of spec or slightly out of tune. You should still be able to shoot pretty well with an out of tune or out of spec bow. I have done it on purpose with little effect when using target arrows. Now with fixed blades it makes a big difference though.

I'm really curious to know what is wrong now. Where do you live?

Paul

idahoelkinstructor 04-10-2007 10:33 PM

If your other bow shoots well for you I am at a loss without seeing the bow and you shoot it.
I second that, not trying to sound like a broken record, and no I am not sponsored by Mathews but I do admit I am biased towards them. I am here to tell you that something is wrong, and I have no idea without seeing you and your bow first hand.So far the Drenalin seems to be more accurate than most of the Mathews hunting bowssimply because it balances so well in your hand. I wish I could spend some time with your bow, I am betting something is wrong with it, and not with you. If you can shoot any type of groups with another bow, then this new Drenalin should be a walk in the park. One of its best selling points is the fact that it is very accurate. I have not heard much go wrong so far, and out of our shop we are selling them like hot cakes. My best advice to you is to take your bow to a confident and educated Mathews dealer for a trouble shoot. I am no expert and I am still learning a lot, but in the three years I have worked ina Mathews pro shopI have set up and tuned more bows than I can remember or dare count.Just from purehands on experienceI now can see/find a lot of problems right offthat would have troubled mein the past with my own bow. Of course my friend/owner of the shop is a excellent teacher, and it totaly qualified as a bow mechanic with many bow manufactures. Hope this helps and let us know how everything works out. Just my 2cents. Jason

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-11-2007 04:41 AM

Not saying your archery store did this but: Last year a friend of mine got the Switchback XT from a pro shop that I never dealt with, his shooting was just fine until he was shooting over 20 yards, then he was allover the place, he found that they didn't put the bow in the correct bow press, (you need a certain bow press for the new parrell limbs) bending the riser. So maybe that is the problem

davidmil 04-11-2007 07:52 AM

I'm sure Len will tell you there are too many variables to give you the correct answer in cyber space. If you check and it's not arrow specific it would depend on HOW BAD the every other arrow was. And YES, a fall away rest will help with flyers as they eliminate arrow contact with the rest. Form flaws will be exaggerated with a shoot through and be more evident down range. A little heel, death grip on the bowor too much palm is transferred straight to the arrow. I'm not a fan of the Quicktunes. I bought one of their top of the line Micro adjustable rest 4 years ago or was it 5 years ago. Anyway, things were inconsistant. I was pulling my hair out and took it to Len. He got checking it out and found that it didn't always return to the full upright position. He called Quicktune and they said, no...don't take it apart, send it back to us. We did. I got it back about 3 weeks later. Shot it a couple days and the same thing started. Sent it back. They sent it back and said it was fine. It wasn't. The spring was just not doing the job. Len put a line on the riser even with the top of the arrow. One arrow it would be up to the line, the next it woud be an 1/8 of an inch under the line. It was finicky. Sometimes it would hold the arrow up and the next time not. I wrote Quicktune and told them they were wrong but it was OK as I threw the expensive POS in the trash can and put on a Muzzy Zero....end of problems. And aren't you proud of me for not mentioning the obvious cause for your "BOW" not shooting consistant. LOL I'm not even going to mention loose tolerances at the pivot point. [8D]