Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Adapter Rings???? Why? >

Broadhead Adapter Rings???? Why?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Adapter Rings???? Why?

Old 03-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Adapter Rings???? Why?

I was just looking through an easton arrow mag. and seen where it says they recommend Broadhead Adapter Rings "BAR" on a lot of the arrows they sell? I shoot easton axis 400's and have never used or seen anyone use these things? Should I be? Do they help? Anyone use them? It almost seems like a money gimmick to me? Ohh and i shoot muzzys no rings on them!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead Adapter Rings???? Why?

People think that the broadhead should make a clean transition to the shaft where the shaft is smaller than the broadheadand it does help if you are practicing. When you pull the arrow back thoguh the target it doesn't tear the target up as much. In reality you aren't missing anything at all.

If discussing the real world of hunting it's only important to worry about the broadhead entering the animal and the arrow following. In this case it doesn't really matter how much smaller that arrow is or whether there is a nice smooth transition from the shaft to the broadhead.

That being said, they can be used to reallt fine tune for arrow flight. Most weigh about 3 grains each and some use them for this. Reall, here again, it's picking at straws. 3 gr makes little or no difference any time.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the case with axis and other small diameter arrows, the broadhead adapters servethree purposes. One the make a smooth transition from broadhead to shaft, and two for expandable that use a washer it helps support that washer so it doesnt get mangled when blades deploy. Three for fixed blade heads using an O-ring like the thunderheads, the addapter gives a smooth surface to tighten that oring on, if you didnt use it most likely it would just ride up the shaft.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:24 AM

I've used them for many years. Now that I shoot the superslim arrows it's more important to me. One big benefit I've found is that it helps your bh's seat squarely on the shaft so tuning is a little easier. Most, if not allbh's are larger than the super slims.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only reason you need a "BAR" is if your broadheadd has a washer and/ or O-ring system at the back of the head to retain the blades.

Some examples would be the thunderhead, slick trick, Wasp broadheads, Rocket, etc...
Old 03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot Axis 340s with HIT inserts and Slick Trick mags. The STs come with a couple washers. I see no reason tospend money on theBAR. The washers do the same thing but dont taper as nice. Big deal......
Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

The only reason you need a "BAR" is if your broadheadd has a washer and/ or O-ring system at the back of the head to retain the blades.

Some examples would be the thunderhead, slick trick, Wasp broadheads, Rocket, etc...
That's it!

I actually found broadhead alignement to be worse with the BAR's. They are purely to give heads such as the Thunderhead a seating surface for the "O" ring. If you don't have a head of that style, get rid of the BAR.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys that answers all my questions, Thanks too all of you!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

As a loyal thunderhead user, all you guys can mail your extra BAR's to me since I need them.