HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Stupid question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/183546-stupid-question.html)

Washington Hunter 03-06-2007 09:54 PM

Stupid question

This is by far the most elementary question I've ever asked, and I'm almost ashamed for not actually knowing the correct answer.

How far up should my rest come? Is there any set point it should rasie up? Or should the arrow just be straight and level?

TFOX 03-06-2007 10:04 PM

RE: Stupid question

Generaly speaking,the center of the burger button hole.

IN THEORY,the closer to center of the bowyou can get the arrow,the more forgiving it will be.I believe the shelf is about center on Hoyts,so that would mean the closer to the shelf you can get it,the more forgiving it would be.

Washington Hunter 03-06-2007 10:11 PM

So then [generally speaking], this would be a bit higher than normal?

Would tuning be any easier if I were to adjust this down along with my nock point? I've got some time before turkey season, so I'm more than willing to tweak things a bit now.

I'm having a bit of trouble keeping my groups consistant past 30 yards without ruining my groups at 20 yards.

Greg / MO 03-06-2007 10:14 PM

You definitely want to bring that down Dan... You're defeating the whole purpose of the shelf trough Bowtech designed into the '07 line to move the arrow closer to the hand to reduce vertical torquing! :)

Washington Hunter 03-06-2007 10:17 PM

So that's why they included the groove in the shelf this year. :DI didn't know its purpose.

Figures a Hoyt shooter setting up a Bowtech would install the rest too high. :eek:

:D;)

So would you suggest adjusting it down to about even with the center of the holes or just below them?

TFOX 03-06-2007 10:32 PM

Judging by the picture,it looks like the arrow is pointed uphill to me,so that could be some of your problems.

You could also have a spine issue causing some of the weird grouping problems.Just throwing that out there.BT shoot hard and most charts are off for them.;)

I will say that my bow is set REAL high because the rest I use needs the extra clearance for the arm to drop out of the way.If you look at my tuning thread,you can seeI am having no problems with it all.I wouldn't "compete" with it this way but for hunting,the tune is dead on so a loss of a LITTLE forgiveness doesn't worry me.If I miss by a 1" at 50 yards on an animal,no big deal.EDIT( I should say an extra1")

Washington Hunter 03-06-2007 11:27 PM

Well that was about a disaster.

After moving both the rest and the nock point my peep won't turn all the way around and my anchor is completely off. My nock sits about halfway up my chin and everything feels completely out of whack. To add insult to injury it looks as if Ii'll now have clearance issues with my rest.

Oh boy... [>:]

Buckfeveragain1969 03-07-2007 12:47 AM

You will have to readjust every thing after you move your rest and nock point.Do you shoot off the string or with a loop?And what type of peep are you using?

Washington Hunter 03-07-2007 12:51 AM

I shoot with a loop and a G5 Meta peep.

Its all good, it just gives me an excuse to go in and have a new string put on. They've got one to put on, I just haven't gone in and had it installed. I'll have them readjust everything for me tomorrow.

JOE PA 03-07-2007 06:41 AM

Take your time getting everything readjusted. It should be better once you have the arrow at the height if the threaded "Berger" hole. It just means you have to do some other things as well. In the end it should pay off.

BGfisher 03-07-2007 08:10 AM

I'm just taking a guess, but did you move the loop down the same amount as the rest? If so then your tune shouldn't change much, but you also have to move the peep down a like amount. This may be the reason your anchor and comfort is all screwed up.

Also, don't know how the loop was set before, but the inside of the top knot should not be level with the rest. It should be approximately 5/16" above square to compensate for the arrow diameter. Start there and retune.

KodiakArcher 03-07-2007 11:00 AM

1. Move the rest down
2. Move the loop/nocking point down
3. Move the peep down
4. Twist the string to get the peep rotation corrected
5. Move the sight down

It's never as simple as it seems...

Greg / MO 03-07-2007 04:28 PM

4. Twist the string to get the peep rotation corrected
There... someone beat me to it. I saw your responses this morning, but was cutting it too close to being late for our district meeting...

I was gonna say -- I doubt you'll need a new string, unless you've somehow cut it in the process. Aligning your peep back up is a simple matter of putting a twist in. No way you should need a new string yet, and especially not just to re-align your peep.

muzzyman88 03-07-2007 09:06 PM

Wash,

Your rest is quite a bit too high as everyone stated. I set mine up with the arrow running through the center of the holes. Actually, the closer you can get it to your hand without clearence, the better. It will reduce torque as stated and also, the closer you can get the nock point to the center of the string, the better off.

Washington Hunter 03-07-2007 09:13 PM

I'll have to wait until I can get more loop material and more serving material before I can move everything now.

With my current rest, it looks like I'll definitely have clearance issues if I move it down so that the arrow is even with the holes.

I'm thinking about picking up a Limb Driver rest to try out after turkey season, so I might just wait until then. I should have plenty of clearance with it.

Greg / MO 03-07-2007 09:44 PM

Pick yourself up a MZE and be done with it... ;)

Washington Hunter 03-07-2007 09:45 PM

I would but I'd have to order it, Greg. Nobody around here carries them. Sportsman's had 'em in last year, but they're not carrying them anymore.

Greg / MO 03-07-2007 09:47 PM

That shouldn't be a problem... just make sure you order the 600 PC model :)

Washington Hunter 03-07-2007 09:49 PM

We'll see what I can do after turkey season.

I'll have a debit card again once I get back to work in April, I'll just have to overnight express everything I order. I'm way too impatient for things like that. :D;)

600 PC model? There are different models to be aware of?

Edit* Won't I also need some sort of something to hold the arrow on the shelf to keep it from sliding around before I draw? With the new groove in the shelf, I haven't found anything that'll do that for me.

muzzyman88 03-08-2007 06:26 AM

Ah don't waste the time on the MZE. ;) If you want a full containment hunting rest, get an APA Twister. I've been shooting one for 3 seasons now with out any issues. Compact, Quiet and a breeze to setup. Not to mention full containment, even you if you like to shoot on your head.