Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stupid question

Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Stupid question

This is by far the most elementary question I've ever asked, and I'm almost ashamed for not actually knowing the correct answer.

How far up should my rest come? Is there any set point it should rasie up? Or should the arrow just be straight and level?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stupid question

Generaly speaking,the center of the burger button hole.

IN THEORY,the closer to center of the bowyou can get the arrow,the more forgiving it will be.I believe the shelf is about center on Hoyts,so that would mean the closer to the shelf you can get it,the more forgiving it would be.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 PM

So then [generally speaking], this would be a bit higher than normal?

Would tuning be any easier if I were to adjust this down along with my nock point? I've got some time before turkey season, so I'm more than willing to tweak things a bit now.

I'm having a bit of trouble keeping my groups consistant past 30 yards without ruining my groups at 20 yards.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

You definitely want to bring that down Dan... You're defeating the whole purpose of the shelf trough Bowtech designed into the '07 line to move the arrow closer to the hand to reduce vertical torquing!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:17 PM

So that's why they included the groove in the shelf this year. I didn't know its purpose.

Figures a Hoyt shooter setting up a Bowtech would install the rest too high.

So would you suggest adjusting it down to about even with the center of the holes or just below them?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Judging by the picture,it looks like the arrow is pointed uphill to me,so that could be some of your problems.

You could also have a spine issue causing some of the weird grouping problems.Just throwing that out there.BT shoot hard and most charts are off for them.

I will say that my bow is set REAL high because the rest I use needs the extra clearance for the arm to drop out of the way.If you look at my tuning thread,you can seeI am having no problems with it all.I wouldn't "compete" with it this way but for hunting,the tune is dead on so a loss of a LITTLE forgiveness doesn't worry me.If I miss by a 1" at 50 yards on an animal,no big deal.EDIT( I should say an extra1")
Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Well that was about a disaster.

After moving both the rest and the nock point my peep won't turn all the way around and my anchor is completely off. My nock sits about halfway up my chin and everything feels completely out of whack. To add insult to injury it looks as if Ii'll now have clearance issues with my rest.

Oh boy... [>:]
Old 03-07-2007, 12:47 AM

You will have to readjust every thing after you move your rest and nock point.Do you shoot off the string or with a loop?And what type of peep are you using?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 AM

I shoot with a loop and a G5 Meta peep.

Its all good, it just gives me an excuse to go in and have a new string put on. They've got one to put on, I just haven't gone in and had it installed. I'll have them readjust everything for me tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take your time getting everything readjusted. It should be better once you have the arrow at the height if the threaded "Berger" hole. It just means you have to do some other things as well. In the end it should pay off.

Quick Reply: Stupid question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.