HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   removing inserts from Carbon arrows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/183330-removing-inserts-carbon-arrows.html)

jackdee 03-05-2007 02:54 PM

removing inserts from Carbon arrows

can anyone tell me what is the best way to remove inserts from carbon arrows. Iv used heat on alum arrows but I don't think thats a good idea.
HELP

fufanu360 03-05-2007 03:19 PM

RE: removing inserts from Carbon arrows

ive never had any good luck removing them... heating them up even the slightest bit will get them out but it will pull a wrap or two of carbon out with it, and ruin the arrow and make the insert useless... maybe someone else has a tried and true method?

passthru79 03-05-2007 04:35 PM

I have tried heat to, never worked well. Only reason I had to pull an insert was to cut the arrow down, and I just strip the fletches and do it on that end now.

nodog 03-06-2007 05:21 AM

Stick a weight in the nock end and swing the shaft to send it into the insert with force. It will come out, may take a few hits.

BGfisher 03-06-2007 06:51 AM

For what reason do you need to remove the inserts? If they are installed with epoxy or super glue then the best course of action is to just buy new inserts. Of course, now what do you do? Well, cut an inch off the insert end, assuming they are long enough to do so.

Heating inserts in carbon shafts gets pretty iffy. It usually takes a lot of heat if epoxy or super glues are used and this pretty much destroys the shaft.

JLmoore1956 03-06-2007 07:54 AM

This is what the shop does I work with now and then.... use a small propane torch and you have to be real careful. I screw in an insert tool, and slowly and as far away as I can heat the tip of the carbon arrow until the glue softens then pull the insert out with a little twist..... I use an arrow puller to hold the shaft so hand doesn't slip when pulliing insert and burn. I have had good luck and reused the shafts with no sign of causing damage......

CAJUNBOWHNTR 03-06-2007 10:59 AM

you can get a long brass screw or threaded rod at the hardware store.Brass works better because it heats up fast.Grab the brass rod with pliers and heat the rod and pull.apply a little heat at atime and be carefull not to overheat the carbon.If you are just wanting to trim the arrow you can cut down from the nock end but you may have to refletch the arrow.

CB

archer58 03-06-2007 04:10 PM

I would suggest not removing them w/ heat.
You may not see the seperation of the layers on the inside of the shaft, but it's there.
Remember carbon arrows are just layers of carbon glued together.The material used to fuse the layers together will break down the same as the epoxy.
It's pretty dangerous. I wouldn't try it.

crutch 03-06-2007 09:33 PM

Can you heat up a old field point(almost cherry red), using small visegrips to hold it. Spinning the arrow/insert on the point might thread it faster than trying to screw in point with pliers.should let itheat from the inside and not the out. Keep a slight twisting pressureon it, so right when glue heats up it will turn andcome out rather quickly.Just a thought:eek: Are the threads messed up or did something break off in it? Other wise if the arrow is to long, just cut it off and get some new inserts.
crutch

jackdee 03-07-2007 06:28 AM

Hey guys, Thanks for your help. I tried all of your suggestions. most of them worked. THANKS AGAIN
jackdee