Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 removing inserts from Carbon arrows >

removing inserts from Carbon arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

removing inserts from Carbon arrows

Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: removing inserts from Carbon arrows

ORIGINAL: archer58

I would suggest not removing them w/ heat.
You may not see the seperation of the layers on the inside of the shaft, but it's there.
Remember carbon arrows are just layers of carbon glued together.The material used to fuse the layers together will break down the same as the epoxy.
It's pretty dangerous. I wouldn't try it.
I thought the same and not trying to change anyones mind. Just the shop I work at sometimes uses this method and I have done it to my own. Guess the good part is I remove them to cut the arrows shorter. However, I wouldn't see a reason why not to do it. Been times when an insert didn't seat all the way and had to be reglued. It works and I have shot a few of them myself with no problem. Again up to each individual but I will continue to do it.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am looking at the same dilemma right now. OK, after not using carbons for 10 years, I bought a half dozen tapered carbons. I really don't want to permanently epoxy the inserts if I don't have to. Manufacterer suggests epoxy.

In order to remove the nocks (they are hot glued on an aluminum insert), the manufacturer suggests dipping the nock end in boiling water. They state that this will not effect the carbon. Now water boils at 360 degrees and hot melt melts at about 250 degrees.

So when removing the inserts, why not just heat up a screw in field point put it in the shaft andwait for the glue to meltand just remove it. You wouldn't have to put direct heat on the shaft at all. I have done this with aluminum all the time. Anyone try this.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I am looking at the same dilemma right now. OK, after not using carbons for 10 years, I bought a half dozen tapered carbons. I really don't want to permanently epoxy the inserts if I don't have to. Manufacterer suggests epoxy.

In order to remove the nocks (they are hot glued on an aluminum insert), the manufacturer suggests dipping the nock end in boiling water. They state that this will not effect the carbon. Now water boils at 360 degrees and hot melt melts at about 250 degrees.

So when removing the inserts, why not just heat up a screw in field point put it in the shaft andwait for the glue to meltand just remove it. You wouldn't have to put direct heat on the shaft at all. I have done this with aluminum all the time. Anyone try this.
Heating the field tip will work fine to get the inserts out.I have done it with mine with no problems. I would avoid directly heating the carbon as it will cause you some problems iwth the fibers.