Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How many turns out?? >

How many turns out??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many turns out??

Old 03-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Default How many turns out??

I have a youth bow for my son with the limbs tight it 40lbs a little to hard to pull at this time, how much can I loosen the limbs, 5 turns out??
Old 03-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many turns out??

I am no expert, but I think 3 full turns is usually the 10 lb swing that limbs can tollerate. Use your best judgement based on how far out the screws are coming. On a lighter poundage bow you can fudge a hair. I just did it with a youth browning for my little girl.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:03 PM

Well it was 4 out when I got it and I went another half I'll test it make sure the limbs don't pop off
Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM

I initially went six turns out on my son's Fred Bear Element 50/60. After playing around with groups and arrows, settled on four turns out. It brought the pull weight down to 51 lbs. from the 60 lb maximum.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 PM

As far as it staying together you can back it off several....I would venture at least 10 .....BUT, It won't shoot worth a hoot, too sloppy.
I would put it on a scale and go to #28 lbs and not lower. On most youth bows you only get about 2lbs/turn. Of course, if you know it was 40# you must have a scale at your disposal. If so, you can test all of this. If no scale is avail. I would go down 6 turns total and see how your young one does. Just be cautious of too much slack in the cables. That is your biggest concern. Don't want it to jump off the cam....that's when things get real hairy, real fast.

If you need more help, let me know. If you want to PM w/specifics of the bow, I may be able to help you more.

Dave
Old 03-05-2007, 04:11 PM

It all depends on the bow. It should say in the manual for the bow how many turns out you can go. If it doesn't or you don't have the manual try looking it up on the internet or call someplace that sells them. Or tell us what make and model of bow it is, someone on here might own one or sell them and will know.

Not all bows are the same. I don't own one bow that you can back off 10 turns. If you did that to any of mine they would explode in your face before you even drew it back. Bowtechs are only like 3 turns I think. And I think my darton is 5. Sometimes you can go an extra turn or so and get away with it, but not too many. There will just not be enough threads to hold the limb on at full draw. And if you go too far they will come out while you are loosening them.

I also don't own a bow that shoots any different backed all the way out or tightened all the way down. They are all just as accurate either way and don't function any differently. I have robin hooded arrows with my darton backed off one turn less than the limit.

My advice is don't mess with it until you KNOW how many turns out you can go from bottomed out. When you find this out for YOUR model bow turn the limbs all the way in, then back them both out an equal amount of turns to the specified limit.

Paul
Old 03-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Thanks, It was four out when I got it for him and I went out about another 1/2 turn
Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely what Paul L Mohr say's . Every manufacturer can be different .

nubo