HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   yardage judgement (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/183061-yardage-judgement.html)

arkansasbowhunter 03-03-2007 05:46 PM

yardage judgement

just wondering how you guys that shoot 3-d judge your distance. my wife is enjoying the shooting but b/c her bow is so slow a few yards makes a big difference in her hitting the 12x or 8x.

KS227 03-03-2007 06:17 PM

RE: yardage judgement

Practice with a rangefinder around your neck. Guess the distance and check it with the finder. Nothing replaces practice and experience. It took me about 3 months,but I can judge within a yard almost everytime. Hitting the 12x for me is an entirely different story.....:)

vaclav 03-03-2007 07:50 PM

practice makes perfect.

CAJUNBOWHNTR 03-06-2007 11:06 AM

I find it easier to guesstimate half the distance,then double it.I also will use 10 yd increments to half way to double check.Using a rangefinder to verify yourestimate really helps.

CB

KodiakArcher 03-06-2007 11:43 AM

Get one distance down cold and use incriments of that distance. I know exactly what 20 yards is then I can multiply that out to the target; if it's not quite double but more than 1.5 x's I know it's somewhere between 35 and 40 yards then I just need to add a yard or two from there to get to it. Your wife may find it easier to really know 10 yards then double, triple or quadruple that distance to get to her targets.

Elkcrazy8 03-06-2007 04:03 PM

Right on Kodiak, I do the same thing only I have chosen 30 yards as the known distance. I sit and study the yardage in my yard, no I don't have a life other than archery.

Most targets fall within the 25-35 yard range. If you can pinpoint 30, you will only have a 5 yard window to judge in either direction.

To double check, half the distance to the target and judge that, double the number and compare to your first guess. If they are a yard or two off, split the difference.

arkansasbowhunter 03-06-2007 04:18 PM

sounds good. we started walking around the neighborhood and I would call out certain objects and we both would guess then check with a range finder. good exercise for the body and mind.

KS227 03-06-2007 06:27 PM

You are gonna get the cops called on you for being a peeping tom:D

perfect way to make a game of it. I wish my wife had an interest in bowhunting ohter thanexpense and time away from home...............[&:]

Elkcrazy8 03-06-2007 09:10 PM

Make score sheets and give yourself an 11 for within one yard, 10 for 2-3 yards off, 8 for 4-5 yards and a 5 for 8-10 yards off. Keep score and see who wins. It is a good way of mixing in some competition to the game....

I got questioned by an old lady while doing range finder practice. She thought that I was participating in the annual bird count...........

arkansasbowhunter 03-07-2007 05:52 AM

good idea elk.