HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Anchor point (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/181360-anchor-point.html)

Buckfeveragain1969 02-20-2007 01:15 AM

Anchor point

I am in the proccess of changing to a Carter hand held release.I am having trouble finding a consistant anchor.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

davepjr71 02-20-2007 04:34 AM

RE: Anchor point

During the process of buying my new bow this sort of issue came up with me. For me, my anchor point was my cheek bone. however, this forced me to tilt my head to the right to have a good shooting plain. The guy that owned the shop had me move my anchor point back right hand so my index finger was almost under my ear and thumb was almost cradling myjaw bone. For me, that had the string touching the tip of my nose and I was looking through the string without having to tilt my head over to do so. Hope that helps in some way.

gibsonhoyt 02-21-2007 09:00 AM

I have a simillar question. I shoot fingers and I put my top finger in the corner of my mouth. I am going to go to a release. With the draw length changing with the use of the release will I still be able to put my finger in the corner of my mouth? What anchor points do you guys use?

davepjr71 02-21-2007 09:19 AM

gibsonhoyt,

You are going to run into the same changeI had to make.My index finger used to rest on the underside of my cheek bone with fingers. When I went to a Winn (and no string loop) I kept it in the same spot. when I went to a string loop (and trufire release) I tried to keep that same point. However, by doing soI shortened my draw length byabout 1.5inches and the knock was away from my face by that same distance and thereby had no anchor point at all. So, the string didn't touch any place on my nose or face andI had to lean my head over my right hand. The guyI bought my bow off of fixed that by having me move myanchor point straight back my headtowhere myfinger is under my ear and my thumb cradles my yaw bone I was able to move the knock backto the corner of my mouth and touch the string to my nose without having to lean over my hand. Instant fix. I also have to scrap the TruefireI have and get a release that sits deep in my hand (Truball copperhead or cyclone or similiar short release). This kept my true draw length that I had from finger shooting and was very natural to learn.

Bottom line is that the type of release you use moves your anchor point. I've seen guys thatpull the knock back by their ear with no hand anchor point just to get some part of the string to touch thier face.However, they probably started off with a release andtehrefore are not used to using their face as an anchor point.

davepjr71 02-21-2007 09:28 AM

One more thing. A release like the copperhead extra has the trigger facing forward almost to the end of the release. You may want to try it out (or any other release like that) if you haven't already purchased one.

gibsonhoyt 02-21-2007 09:30 AM

Davepjr71, would you suggest getting a truball copperhead or cyclone release for my first one? And if I understand you right just by moving my anchor point back on my head, I should not have to change the dl on my bow. Is it harder to pull back a bow with a release, it seems to me that pulling all the way back to my ear would be harder than pulling to the corner of my mouth. I shoot a Vectrix XL 30"dl 70 lbs

gibsonhoyt 02-21-2007 09:37 AM

Also.... I just looked up the copperhead extra on basspro.com and what is the advantage/disadvantage of buckle vs. velcro strap?

I also read in a review that the tru ball copperhead "hangs up" once in a while.

davepjr71 02-21-2007 10:28 AM

bucklestrap is quiter to put on and take off and stiffer.
velcro is noisy putting on and taking off and likes to stick to things but allows you to adjust to infinite settings within velcro length.

I used the shop owners copperhead with buckle and I loved it. I'm looking at the xtra due to the possibility of moving the anchor point back up to my cheek.My old winn and Truefire are velcro and a pain at times.

Not sure about the hanging-up. Basspro had some rests from Scott that looked pretty good that are similar to the Truball and $10 less.

By the way, how do you like your Vectrix? I almost bought one before I chose the Bowtech Allegiance.

gibsonhoyt 02-21-2007 10:47 AM

I love my Vectrix XL except I wish I could shoot it with fingers. But I do need to let you know that my old bow was new in 1995. I got the Vectrix XL in Dec. It is fast quiet and smooth. Thanks for the info on the releases!