HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   New Release (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/181121-new-release.html)

Matt/TN 02-18-2007 05:21 PM

New Release

I am wanting to get a new release. I have just a plain tru ball trigger release and I am wanting to try one that will help me get rid of the "knowing when you are gonna shoot" method. Give me some names of some I can check out!!

djkiller 02-18-2007 05:42 PM

RE: New Release

you mean back tension? you can shoot your caliper release w/ back tension. Other wise go to trballs web site. www.truball.com
and look at there releases. I'd stay w/ truball. I love 'em. There customer service is awesome also. If your just looking for one for hunting. look at there ST4, Saber tooth or chappy boss series. Good luck!!!

Oneshot7 02-18-2007 07:56 PM

primos .44 caliper release this thing is saweet

Matt/TN 02-18-2007 09:14 PM

i guess im talking like a thumb trigger release like the one you pictures, and yes itll be for hunting. How much will one of those run?

Kanga 02-18-2007 09:27 PM

They are not cheap.
Get the Talon head same as in the picture above you dont need the rope just hook it direct to your string loop.
Also if ordering new get the extra heavy springs. I have them in my Extreme and the trigger pull is about 8lbs and makes it real hard to punch the trigger so to speak;)

djkiller 02-18-2007 09:28 PM

There not cheap. You can get them for $100.00 to $180.00
check lancaster archery supply or I think cabelas carries a few of the thumb triggers?

Matt/TN 02-18-2007 09:33 PM

well are there any cheap thumb triggers?

TFOX 02-18-2007 10:25 PM

Cheap and good really don't go together in this area. Most of the cheaper thumb releases have way too much trigger travel.The good ones without trigger travelare expensive,real expensive.

The Chappy,pictured above has almost zero trigger travel.

Ausie is right,you don't want light. 8# for a hunting release might be a bit much.I use a wrist release that is about 4#,ifI remember correctly.

Matt/TN 02-18-2007 10:32 PM

well maybe i dont want a thumb lol......could i get a good wrist one that will serve the purpose? may light trigger pull. I just want something i can be a little more accurate with.

TFOX 02-18-2007 10:45 PM

I just went through this with Atlas,you don't want light pull,you want small trigger travel but you need pressure to make the release go off.

Yes,there are good wrist releases.

Carter Two Shot is an excellent release at $85.00

The Tru Ball Short & sweet IIis the one i use and really like.Great release at $55.00

There are alot of really good wrist releases that are under $90.00.Just not too many thumb styles with little or no trigger travel.

TFOX 02-18-2007 10:53 PM

You might be better off investing in a back tension release to learn what a good shot feels like and then just using the release you have.

Just throwing that out there.

I have one of these and at $50.00,hard to beat to learn with. Tru ball ultra 3

http://www.truball.com/TRUTension.html

Matt/TN 02-18-2007 11:42 PM

i may try it but my release now is just like a $20 wally world and now that i think of it, its a tru fire.

TFOX 02-19-2007 05:49 AM

You originally posted it was a Tru Ball.If it is a Tru Fire from Wal mart,then you may want to look into a better one.The ones I showed you will be fine.

There are some decent thumb triggers under $100.00 but I have not seen one yet that did not have alot of trigger travel.Maybe someone else has.

Rick James 02-19-2007 05:56 AM

I would recommend getting a slightly used quality release rather than a new one that isn't of great quality. You can usually get a top of the line TRU Ball on AT.com classifieds for $75-$90.

I have had a TRU Ball Ultra Xtreme, as well as their ST-3. Both when adjusted right had no noticable trigger travel. It's all in how you adjust them. The ST-3 actually boasts the least amount of trigger travel in the industry at .001 movement, I can't notice any movement in mine.........it breaks like glass for me.

I amcurrently using the ST-3 for nearly everything from 3D to hunting to indoor, for hunting it's pretty cool because there isn't a head that needs closed on theloop, you just hook it up and shoot. When hunting I use their modular wrist strap just so I don't drop it.

southerncross 02-19-2007 09:28 AM

I think I am going to purchase the new 3d Hunter from Tru-Fire. Does anyone know if this release has much travel to it.

djkiller 02-19-2007 03:04 PM

You arent going to get a hole lot of adjustments w/ the tru-fire. Its just a cheaper rip off of the tru-balls. I too would check archery talk. Look for a Saber Tooth. If I still had mine I'd sell it to ya. Good luck.

Grandviewer 02-19-2007 03:30 PM

Southerncross the true Fire 3D hunter has some thumb placement adjustment on the trigger and the jaws pressure adjustment is easy to work for less or more.

For the money it helps with my form and it can be used for back tension style releasing. To me it's a cross over releasebewteen the trigger style to the true expensive back tension type. I like to shut both ways and you can with this one.

TFOX 02-19-2007 03:39 PM

Good idea Rick,I don't know why I didn't think of that.There are definately some good buys on used releases.

I haver a chappy myself but i am not wanting to sell it and I have a carter Fits me too.I prefer the carters over the tru ball but that is me.

Oneshot7 02-19-2007 07:05 PM

ill say it again the Primos .44 caliper release you can set the tension and right out of the box you can blow it and set it off improved my groups greatly and only costs 32 dollars

gibblet 02-20-2007 05:11 AM

hair triggers only make things better for a little bit - you'll see.

Buckfeveragain1969 02-20-2007 08:04 AM

I would try to pick up a used release from some where first.Some of these release's are real expensive.I did that myself,I figure if I dont like it I can get some of my money back.Just a suggestion.

Monie 02-20-2007 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I just went through this with Atlas,you don't want light pull,you want small trigger travel but you need pressure to make the release go off.

Yes,there are good wrist releases.

Carter Two Shot is an excellent release at $85.00

The Tru Ball Short & sweet IIis the one i use and really like.Great release at $55.00

There are alot of really good wrist releases that are under $90.00.Just not too many thumb styles with little or no trigger travel.
I, too, use the Short-N-Sweet. It's a GREAT release! I don't have to look down to put the release head on the loop. I just feel for the loop and slide the release head onto it. No taking your eyes off the target! It's very adjustable. You can set it to go off as soon as you barely touch it...I don't suggest that. I popped my lip a couple of times trying it. lol

totalcomfort 02-20-2007 08:38 PM

fletch hunter shorty it has a adjustable trigger a nice wrist strap won't tear up your string.(I'm still hard headed and don't use a loop)I have had mine for 3yrs and I love it.If it ever breaks I will pay anything to get another