Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow arm drop

Old 02-17-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Bow arm drop

Please help, I started shooting a bow league and am finding myself dropping my bow arm. Any ideas about fixing this? Thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 06:21 AM

Default RE: Bow arm drop

yep, a pure back tension release.

unfortunately you've learned when you're about to shoot, and your body is breaking down just ahead of time. happens to all trigger shooters w/out rigorous methods of avoiding it (whether they'll admit it or not).
Old 02-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used this method to help many archers with the same problem as you.
When you trigger the release watch the arrow through your peep and through your sight houseing all the way until you see the arrow hit it's target...... watching the arrow through the sight houseing until it hits the target will make you hold the how there until you see the arrow hit.
Hope this will help you.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot over the top of a plastic lawn chair in front of me. It helped as I did not want my bow to drop on the chair.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:47 AM

LadyForge nailed it. Ive found this the best way to eliminate this problem. Continue looking through the sight housing and holding your pin on your target after the shot. Concentrate just as much on holding on target after the shot as before the shot. You might even find yourself adjusting your pins after learning this. I started doing this 3 years ago. When i did i consistently shot almost an inch higher than usual and adjusted my pins. Ive actually also did more mental training than shooting lately. Try shooting only 1 or 2 arrows before you retrieve. and take your time, dont be too ancious to shoot. Ill even go as far as walking slowly to the target and back and drawing slowly and holding my aim about about 8 inches above my mark and slowly dropping the pin into the mark till it covers it and then raise slightly and make the mark visible again and then dropping back into it and releasing. Works great for me. If you do all this then you will completly lose the tendancy to drop your arm.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 AM

Dropping your bow arm is usually due to stopping your shot too soon. Every shot has to have a conclusion that keeps you into the shot at least until the arrow clears the bow, but a little longer is better. Lady Forge's technique is an excellent way to do this. However, anything that keeps your following through to a specific conclusion works. Some bring their release hand back to touch their shoulder. Others follow through until they hear the sound of the arrow hitting the target. Watching the arrow until it hits as Lady Forge described is one of the better ones because it not only keeps your bow arm up, it is also maintains your focus on the target.

The important thing is that the instant of release is not the end of the shot. You are experiencing the results of that. What happens is that you begin to anticipate the release and your follow through tends to get shorter and shorter until it is collapsing a fraction too soon and affecting arrow flight.

To fight this, the old blank bale is probably the best technique. Just shoot andhold your form with your bow arm upuntil the arrow hits the bale. Your bow arm won't stay still since it is reacting to the bow, but work on holding it up until you see the arrow hit.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Allen;
Some bring their release hand back to touch their shoulder.
This is exacly how I conclude my shot.
I learned this from my coach when I was blank bailing to overcome target panic.
My shot is not finished until I touch my thumb to my shoulder.
Took me a while to wrap my brain around this though........ being the control freaK I am[:@]
I used to think the shot was over when I hit the trigger and then see the arrow hit it's target............... So now the shot is not over until I touch my thumb to my shoulder........I had to reprogram my way of thinking... to not anticipate the trigger but to anticipate my thumb touching my shoulder...... You can compare it to say for examples sake ...
GOING TO GET GAS IN THE TRUCK
You get in the truck
Youputthe truckin drive
You drive to the gas station
You get out and pump the gas in the truck
You pay for the gas
You get back in the truck
YOUR FINISHED GETTING GAS ...RIGHT?????
NO....... We are looking to achieve a new conclusion
NOW YOU ARE NOT FINISHED UNTIL YOU BUCKLEUP YOUR SEATBELT!!!!!![8D]

Old 02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont grip so I just let the bow tilt forward with the wrist strap and arm out(dont push the bow)and keep my release hand back between my shoulder and ear keeping my focus on the target....smooooth as silk........
Old 02-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot......cant shoot anymore due to old neck surgury acting up.Bummer for me[:@].
Old 02-19-2007, 05:54 AM

this is the kind of thing i was saying about trigger shooters having touse rigorous methods to keep from doing it. its really the same type thing tfox is talking about in the 'i need a new release' or something thread in this 'tech' section. its why hair triggers work - for a little while - then it gets worse. unless you don't know when the bow will go off - you have to be very rigorous - because you will learn to break down before the shot - your brain is so smart.

Quick Reply: Bow arm drop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.