Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What bow for my wife >

What bow for my wife

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What bow for my wife

Old 02-11-2007, 07:08 PM

Default What bow for my wife

I have been looking for a bow for myself and telling my wife how fun shooting is, and now she wants to try it which I think is great. the only problem is she has never shot a bow before and I have no idea on what kind of bow to get her. I don't want to spend alot of money on her first bow just in case she doesn't like it. but I don't want to buy her junk so she can have fun. any and all help will be appreciated thanks smurphy<><
Old 02-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Default RE: What bow for my wife

Take a good look at the Hoyt Avenger or Selena. Both excellent choices for the ladies, and not too bad on the checkbook.

Another excellent choice would be the Ross CR336 or 334.....Wicked smooth shooters.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

I just went through this very thing this week. My wife hasn't shot before and wants to start. I thought it wise to get a bow that was well made, so we looked at the Hoyt Selena, Mathews Ignition, Parker Contender, Diamond Edge, and the Darton Ranger III. Right now she can only pull about 30 lbs, and I've seen folks start out with a bow only to find after a few months that the draw length and poundage on their bow was outside of what they really needed. So, that narrowed it down pretty much to the Diamond Edge and the Darton Ranger. Between the two she chose the Darton. Its on its way and we haven't gotten it yet, but the one we looked at was unmatched, as far as we could tell, in adjustability in poundage and draw length. I think it'll be a great bow to start out for her with, and when she gets more comfortable in what she likes as far as specs, we can get her a bow that is more specific in them and give this bow to one of the kids for a while. Take a look at them on the Darton website. We got her Ranger III for $250 shipped. You can get a Ranger II for about $50 cheaper with the only differnce being that the riser is black instead of camo; the limbs are camo on both.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

I posted this on another thread. It seems to apply here also...

Bought a Parker Buckshot for my 14 year old daughter; small, petite frame. We started out with the 20-30# draw weight, once she max'ed out, we sent it in for the 30-40# upgrade. She is now pressing me for the 40-50# upgrade!

The nice features of this bow is the adjustable draw length (10") and the draw weight upgrade is only $49. Your buddy won't have to go out and buy a new bow each time his son needs to bump up the poundage. The "Grow up with Parker" program was the first of it's kind to promote this feature. I personally think it is great as we currently do not have enough youthbeing brought in to the hunting world.

Jen's Buckshot is very quiet, the arrow striking the target is louder than her bow. She is slicing vanes and shooting off nocks during every practice session! Keeps Dad busy repairing and building arrows, but I'm not complaining.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:28 PM

I'll second the Parker Buckshot. I like it's smooth draw and smaller grip. Little shot noise and haven't noticed really any hand shock. For $300.00, you get bow that's set up and ready to go. It just needs a small stabilizer to complete the package. The adjustable cams are handy when making changes to drawlength. Beats having to buy brand new modules. Parker has other selections as well such as the MicroPheonix.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

The Browning Micro Midas 4 would be a good bow as well IMO. My daughter shoots the 3 from last year and am considering this one for my wife. Retails around $270 with nothing on it. Very easy to adjust draw lengths and weight. My daughters 3 is pretty quick at 40#, just over 220 fps.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

I got my 89 year old the browning micro midas and with a different set of strings it went to 12 lbs, she is pulling now about 16. we are going to change strings.

I got my wife the browning adrenaline, it backed down in the 30's. I crank a 1/2 turn on it when I think about it so she never really notices the increased poundage.

I got both girls shooting in the 3d tourneys. they really like them. my 9 year old has won 3 peewee shoots now in a row. she can hit the 12 ring out to seven yards.

It is a family event for us. glad to see others getting there spouses involved.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 PM

Arkansasbowhunter: You have an 89 year old?!! That makes you what, at least 107 years old or so? I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, on an Ohio controlled hunt roster last year I saw a birthdate of 1909. Wouldn't that be awesome seeing a near centarian out in the woods hunting.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Well Doegirl, the people I work for their father is 90. Talks of all the hunts he has been on and I certaintly could see him in the woods for deer still. The woods far far away from where I am hunting LOL.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a bow for my wife many years back........best trade I ever made!!!!

Quick Reply: What bow for my wife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.