HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Correct arrow spine (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/179781-correct-arrow-spine.html)

dandbuck 02-09-2007 01:12 PM

Correct arrow spine

OK, I did a search and have been looking at a bunch of posts, getting myself more confused by the minute.
How do I know the correct spine of my arrows? I am shooting a Reflex Bighorn with 29" draw, 68#, 28 1/2" Gold Tip Hunter 55/75 with 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy's. Is this enough info? These arrows ok for the bow? At last trip to the shop, it shot 274 if I remember correctly. It is very quiet, or should I say was (I have changed some things and have not shot it again yet) Thanks to Greg/MO and a bunch more of you guys, I have spent some money on a Muzzy Zero Effect rest, a new Troph Ridge 5 pin sight, and a CSS from MeanV. To do this I needed to modify my lower cable guard to an upper cable guard, and so now I am ready to go back and tune this thing and see what it does. I'm starting to think I should not have starting reading so much on this site ;), but oh well, now I am a regular. My other changes are to add blazers instead of the 4" vanes and I am debating a luminock so I can see the arrow better at close distances, but the color of my blazers may have already helped that (white and orange tiger). Thanks for the help, I just want to make sure my arrows are going to work before I change the vanes.

OHbowhntr 02-09-2007 01:26 PM

RE: Correct arrow spine

You're probably a bit underspined, or leaning towards it. Here's a chart to look for yourself: http://www.goldtip.com/downloads/2006sizing-chart.pdf , but I'd be shooting 7595's if it were me.

And is that the new Bighorn, or and older model. I have a 2000 Bighorn Hunter Single Cam, and it shoot as nice as my Highlander actually.

dandbuck 02-09-2007 02:33 PM

IT's an older model, 2001 I think, maybe 2002. I got the 2 cam model, but thay had both at the time. I really like it. That's why I did my mods to it. Hopefully, I will be happy with what I am doing.

SO, if I am a "little" underspined, is that ok? What would be the outcome(problems) I may encounter? When I first got the bow, I shot a lot and paper tuned out of the box, all was great with minimum adj. Now I am hoping I will not be at the range for a week getting it to shoot good.

Anybody wanna trade 55/75 for 75/95's? JK
BTW, I am a true rookie about all this technical stuff.!!

OHbowhntr 02-10-2007 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: dandbuck

IT's an older model, 2001 I think, maybe 2002. I got the 2 cam model, but thay had both at the time. I really like it. That's why I did my mods to it. Hopefully, I will be happy with what I am doing.

SO, if I am a "little" underspined, is that ok? What would be the outcome(problems) I may encounter? When I first got the bow, I shot a lot and paper tuned out of the box, all was great with minimum adj. Now I am hoping I will not be at the range for a week getting it to shoot good.

Anybody wanna trade 55/75 for 75/95's? JK
BTW, I am a true rookie about all this technical stuff.!!
I guess, the other option mentioned in another thread here would be to drop your weight to 64-65#'s, then the spine would be in mid-line.

BullRider115 02-10-2007 07:10 PM

If I remember right the 5575's are 8.9 gpi and with 100 gr tip your total weight would be around 354 gr which comes out to about 5.2 gr. per pound at 68#. Right on the edge as OHbowhntr has mentioned. You could go to a 125 tip for your assurance or go with the 7595. Personally, I like to push it and I would stick with what you have, maybe even crank it down a lb. to get to the 5.0 minimum.

TFOX 02-10-2007 10:21 PM

He is already on the low side of spine according to my program,the 125's would make it worse.Either lower poundage or go with a stiffer arrow.

JimPic 02-11-2007 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

He is already on the low side of spine according to my program,the 125's would make it worse.Either lower poundage or go with a stiffer arrow.
Exactly--a heavier point will weaken the spine and you don't want to do that.I'd go with the 7595's

saltflyz 02-11-2007 04:46 PM

I am shooting a 70# Outback with 27 7/8 arrows and 100 gr tips. According to the chart, I should shoot 7795's, but I am right at a threshold. i.e.- loose 7/8"s off the arrow length or 4 pounds of pullage and I am in the 5575 range. I do actually shoot 5575's and love them. I am so close to either weight and have chosen the lighter arrow and am very pleased...

dandbuck 02-12-2007 06:40 AM

Ok. so what I am reading is that I am slightly underspined, but not a whole lot to worry about? If I feel the need to buy new arrows, then I will buy the 75/95's, but since being on this site I am spending too much(lol) already. I will see if I have problems getting the arrows(55/75) to fly right, and take it from there. Thanks guys!!

ijimmy 02-12-2007 11:23 AM

Its better to be overspined that underspined in all instances , but when shooting fixed broadheads like you are , its even more important , never go on the weak side of spine .

Of coarse you can take this to the extreme and your groups may open up some with a target rig and field tips , with tiny fletching .

Enter your specs into bowjacksons website , and it will give you an close idea of what spine arrow you should be shooting , look for an a rated shaft for fixed broadhead equiped arrows .

Another way to adjut for spine if your arrows are too weak , is to take a turn out of the limd bolts , to lessen the weight you are pulling .