Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Commander VS Black Ice >

Commander VS Black Ice

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Commander VS Black Ice

Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Commander VS Black Ice

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at buying a new bow, and seriously looking at either the Diamond Black Ice or the Bowtech Commander. I really like what I see about both bows, havn't shot either, and don't think I'll have the chance to shoot either. I presently shoot a 03" Hoyt Magnatech, it's a great little bow but I think I'd like to make the move into a top end bow.

I've heard lots of good about the Black Ice on here, but havn't really heard anything about the Commander. if any of you guys have bought either or know first hand about either then I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Right now i'm kinda leaning towards the Commander but the price tag kinda makes me want to go with the Black Ice. Both to me seem like very nice bows, so I think I would probably be happy with either but I'd really like to heard what you all have to say.

My archery needs are as follows....
I try to shoot an a weekly basis,
I attend 3D shoots a few times a year
I like to hunt with my bow but as of yet have only managed to take a black bear, and a bunch of gophers if they count
I teach boys scouts archery
I teach boy scout leaders archery range master courses

soas you can see I need a good all around bow, nothing that is great at one thing but rather;can be good at everything.

well thanks in advance for you input
Vinyari

Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Commander VS Black Ice

Vinyari,

If you are looking for a great "all around" bow then the Commander with its longer and heavier overall design might suit your needs a bit better than the Black Ice. I own the latter and have an order in for the former. When it arrives I will be sure to make further comments on it.

The Black Ice is my hunting bow for the year and is also currently serving as my 3D bow until the Commander arrives. Initially I wanted to recommend the Black Ice because it seems like you will be using the bow primarily for hunting but with some 3D shoots thrown in for practice. I tend to prefer shorter bows for hunting because of both maneuverability and portability. I really cannot say enough good things about the Black Ice. In just about every category the bow really performs up to my expectations. As always though, with shorter bows, you have to be very aware of whether or not you are canting it at all when you are at full draw. A correctly set bubble level will help remedy that issue.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:14 PM

thanks for your post,

I will keep everyone up to date

Vinyari
Old 02-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

My thoughts mirror Franks.

I have the Ice and a Commander on order and I will tell you this, the Ice is the best single cam bow I have ever shot, I have just finished changing out my target gear on it and putting it back into hunting mode (have a hog hunt tomorrow) flung a few arra's with BH's and it is spot on.

In target mode Scope, long stabilizer etc at 70 yards it shoots 2" groups and I have NEVER been able to do that before with a single cam bow.
It dont have the out right speed for 3d but until my Commander gets here I will be using the ICE for 3d.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM

ya I am leaning toward the Commander but that's alot of money to dish out without being able to try either bow, so I still wanna see what everyone has to say about it.

thanks again
Vinyari
Old 02-09-2007, 08:25 PM

commander looks silly haha... no its a cool design... its faster... a little longer ata... but the diamond is cheaper..i guess it comes down to what u wanna spend, or if you want a center pivot peice of technology lol (no that was not an insult)
Old 02-10-2007, 12:57 PM

hey another thing about the Commander that I forgot to mention, that I think is reall cool, is the fact that you don't need a bow press to work on it,

cool hey
Vinyari
Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: vinyari

hey another thing about the Commander that I forgot to mention, that I think is reall cool, is the fact that you don't need a bow press to work on it,

cool hey
Vinyari
yes that is definatlly a cool feature!!