Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Carbon questions? >

Carbon questions?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Carbon questions?

Old 02-04-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Carbon questions?

I have been thinking about going to carbon from aluminum, a little back ground:

1. My bow is a Browning Ballistic Mirage w/ 61 3/4 in. string length.

2. I have been shooting XX78 ultralite 2312 straight out of the box.

Trying to teach a friend to shoot a bow recently and most of my arrows now are bent, broken or missing. So I was thinking about a change and was looking for some expert advice.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 AM

Default RE: Carbon questions?

I would reccomend getting the specs on your current arrows, then researching all of the companys to find an arrow similar to what you shoot but in Carbon. This way you may not have to make major adjustments.

When I switched from XX75 Alum. to Carbon, I had to make a major adjustment. but I went with totally different sizes.

I doubt this is the "expert" advice you are looking for, but this is what I wish I would have done in the beginning instead of listening to someone at a pro shop that I thought knew what they were talking about.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks, I will take any advice that I can get. I am fairly new to bowhunting, so I am still learning a lot. Do you know where I might find a reference guide or carbon vs. aluminum comparison? I guess the manufacturer's sites may have these type of resources.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntND

I would reccomend getting the specs on your current arrows, then researching all of the companys to find an arrow similar to what you shoot but in Carbon. This way you may not have to make major adjustments.

When I switched from XX75 Alum. to Carbon, I had to make a major adjustment. but I went with totally different sizes.

I doubt this is the "expert" advice you are looking for, but this is what I wish I would have done in the beginning instead of listening to someone at a pro shop that I thought knew what they were talking about.
Not to bust your bubble but if you change arrows you will have to change something on your bow. You’ll probably never find a carbon with the same spine, diameter and weight. And even if you do the carbon does not react the same way as aluminum, even if spined the same. If your buying your carbons from a good pro shop they should help you get back on target. And if they wont then go some wear different.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:16 PM

I was thinking of going to a new sight also, but if is going to be a huge hassle I may just go back with the aluminum. Is the advantage worth going to the carbon?
Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Reefdonkey

I was thinking of going to a new sight also, but if is going to be a huge hassle I may just go back with the aluminum. Is the advantage worth going to the carbon?
Yes.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: marcusjb

ORIGINAL: Reefdonkey

Yes.
It's not a big deal to get your bow to shoot right again because you switched arrows. The advantage is that you can have a arrow the same weight as before, but more durable then a 2312. The biggest think is that you have to know what you want to get out of your carbons and start from there.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:22 AM

Not bursting my bubble at all. My Major adjustment was I bought an entire new bow setup. But on my first bow when I switched from Alum. to Carbon. I had to change a pin or two and that was all. which is not considered major adjustments for me.

Reefdonkey - If you want to get a new sight and switch arrows, I would suggest doing them at the same time because you will have to adjust your pins anyway. One gives you the reason for the other sort of deal.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Spike

Reefdonkey - It's really not that hard to switch to carbons and you will probably - no make that, you will definitely be glad you did.

Because in most cases carbon arrows span a broader range of spine you don't have to worry as much about length of arrow vs. draw weight. Simply figure your draw weight out (simple bow scale will do) and viola! You can select your carbons. Different manufacturers have different spine ranges but most will have a 35-55 spine, 55-75 spine, and 75-95 spine with the numbers relating to your peak draw weight.

Cutting and making the arrows up, if you do that, is a bit different, because you need a high speed saw to cut carbons.

Setting up carbons may pose some interesting challenges if you are not shooting a drop away rest. Unless you specifically go after the larger diameter carbons arrows, most carbons will come in a 19-20/64th diameter. If you shoot any kind of helical on your vanes/feathers you may find the smaller diameter a problem in getting fletching clearance on a prong type rest.

For this reason drop away rests were developed, as was Blazer and NAP Quickspin vanes, and Whisker Biscuit rests. All designed to address vane clearance issues.

Ultimately the best thing about carbons despite all the setup issues is that if its not broken - it's straight! I have been shooting some of the same carbons for over 5 years (the ones I haven't lost or had a tree jump in front of). I remember the aluminum era when I would set 1/2 a dozen aside just for hunting so that I knew I had perfectly straight arrows.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I switched to carbons months ago and I ain't going back.