Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 80# bows and up? >

80# bows and up?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

80# bows and up?

Old 01-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default 80# bows and up?

I know I'm gonna hear you don't need an 80# bow for speed. But i'm not an overdraw or carbon shooter. I had a bow that was a 70 to 90# and I really liked the preformance using heavier aluminums with it, only problem it was to long a draw length.

My question is what bow companies and what model of bow is outthere that is 80# or above peak weights? I've been looking and the only one I can find is the PSE big five or big five pro, any others?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 06:02 AM

Default RE: 80# bows and up?

I don't know of any compound bows out there, but I betcha some trad guy could build ya a long bow that the hulk would have trouble pulling. good luck
Old 01-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive heard of 100# bowtechs, check ebay
Old 01-27-2007, 07:15 AM

The Bowtech Tribute can be ordered with 80, 90 and 100 lb limbs but no warranty on the 90 & 100's
Old 01-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know bowtech does. A guy I know has one that is 120 lbs, I don't know if it was a special order or not. He took down a 6,000 lbelephant and hippo with it a couple of years ago.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:54 AM

I believe bowtech and Mathews both offer bows above 70 lbs. Darton might custom build you one if you wanted. There might be some other companies that would do it as well.

My personal opinion is you would probably shoot better with a slower bow that was easier to draw but I'm not you.

Paul
Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

HOYT

Vectrix
Vectrix XL
38 Pro
38 Ultra
Vulcan
Trycon
Avenger
Ultra Elite xt 3000
Ultra Elite xt 2000
Pro Elite xt 3000
Pro Elite xt 2000

All are available up to 80#'s

You will most likely have to order one because very few shops will stock 80# bows anymore because they just don't sell.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the information guys. Hey elkcrazy8 dreaming of next year already huh?

Paul I agree 100% with what you said. I do shoot better with lighter draw weight.

But I like kinetic energy that the aluminums produce and I like speed so I have the dilemia of wanting a heavier bow. I had a Clearwater Archery bow that was a 70-90 but the draw was too long and no more adjustment.So Iadjusted myself to shoot the bow. It would fly a 30" xx78 2317 at 290 fps and I couldn't get my sight pins close enough to have 20 30 40 50 60 yd pins. My First pin started at 20 and the last of five ended at 66yds. My 40 yd groups were inside 3" circle, not competition class but huntable with the heavy bow. Only draw back I ran into using the heavy bow is trying to draw in a very ackward position or hold for more than 30seconds if the animal stopped. But that bow only had 55% let off. So I'm thinking todays bows are alot more in tune to being able to hold for awhile. I'm here to learn I'm no bow expert so my mind is open for suggestions.

We don't have a decent archery shop within driving distance to go and try out new bows. It's pick one and pay for the education.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could split the difference and go with an aluminum/carbon arrow.The Full Metal Jacket 300 weighs 11.6 gr per inch. and packs quite a punch.You coud shoot that at 70# and keep all your accuracy and be better prepared for the off angle shot.You could be easily around 525 grains with vanes and a 125 grain point(with a 28" arrow).Drop to feathers and 100 grain points,you would be around 472 grains.That would keep your energy high and speed respectable.(not to mention the availability of the bows and resale )

I know most don't actually understand speed but believe when I say it is way overrated.There is a difference when adding 10# as you like to do but it is very minimal,especially for a hunting situation.The big difference you will notice is energy but when you get as high as you are,I don't think the energy is a big help either,you can only penetrate the ground so far before you won't be able to find your arrow.

Unless you are hunting elephant such as Elk's friend,I don't think I would concern myself with it.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use a Bear/Jennings bow that set at 85 lbs. I am very happy with the results. I use heavey weight arrows and broad heads for better control so I am not shooting for long distances. But, when they hit they hit, a very hard hit indeed. To long a draw length? Mine was to short so I had it adjusted at the bow shop when I bought it. A good bow shop should be able to adjust the lenght on it somewhat, but, your draw might change a little. Good Luck to you.

Quick Reply: 80# bows and up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.