Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Grip question (form) >

Grip question (form)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Grip question (form)

Old 01-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Grip question (form)

I've noticed it posted in several threads asking for critiques on form.

We're told to have the grip of the bow more on the pad of the thumb rather than the palm of the hand.

My problem is that I can't draw like that. I draw with the grip in the palm of my hand and then rotate my hand so that the grip is resting on the pad below my thumb.

I haven't noticed any inconsistancy doing things this way, but I was wondering what your thoughts on this were. Is there a chance it will cause me to be more inconsistant? Should I just work on trying to draw with the grip where it needs to be?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:14 AM

Default RE: Grip question (form)

before placing your bow hand on the grip - you need to go in to what i call the 'light in your loafers -hand mentality.' from just before your hand touches your grip, until after theshot is released - your bow hand needs to be dead. your wrist too. no tension, no fidgeting, no nothing -specially rotating your grip while drawn. you've gotten in to an absolutely terrible habit that should be broken. if you'rea right handed shooter - nothing on the left side of your life-line should touch the gripin any way. the life-line itself - and anything to the right of it is fair game. john
Old 01-26-2007, 07:40 AM

My first question would be "Why can't you draw the bow like that?".

Paul
Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM

good question
Old 01-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Well they way all the pro's teach proper hand placement on the grip is to put your arm out straight and wrist slightly turned out. As if telling one to stop. Grip is placed in pocket between index and thumb. At full draw you relax your fingers on grip. Helps w/ anti-torquing. I'm not sure if makes sence how I explained it. But is how most competitors shoot.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 PM

WhenI bought my Tribute, I was told bythe proshop owner to hold the grip along the "lifeline", it is the line at the base of the thumb, & then have the pressure of the bow end up towards the pinky side of the hand.Then totally relax the fingers.Basically, its like holding your hand straight out & slightly tilted to the left. @ 20yds, I went from the arrows landing inconsistently in a 4" circle, to a 2" tight group. 3 more rounds were exactly the same. Don't know if it will work 4 u, but I believe what he said.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:03 PM

I'm having a problem understanding all this.
First, I'm a lefty.
I have a problem w/ leveling my bow. I always have to turn my hand in to get the level..level. Should the back of my hand be pointed out or slightly down. Or am I starting out wrong. My hand and fingers r relaxed.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: archer58

I'm having a problem understanding all this.
First, I'm a lefty.
I have a problem w/ leveling my bow. I always have to turn my hand in to get the level..level. Should the back of my hand be pointed out or slightly down. Or am I starting out wrong. My hand and fingers r relaxed.

Check out these 2 pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Ausie-guy/General%20Archery%20Stuff/grip2.jpg?t=1169868524

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Ausie-guy/General%20Archery%20Stuff/grip1.jpg?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 PM

AH HA!!!
I got it now. Thanks so much.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just make sure your bow hand is totally relaxed otherwise you will get tension in your arm and thats not good specially if you have to hold at full draw for any lenght of time

Quick Reply: Grip question (form)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.