HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   need some advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/176527-need-some-advice.html)

brick shark 01-21-2007 05:57 PM

need some advice

hello

I got hired at a new bass pro shop in my town in the hunting dep. . I worked the gun counter for the first few months and did real well at it. But my boss had to cut back on hours and let most of the part timers go. Most of the guys that he had in archery was part time so he ask me tomove to archery . I was the only one who bow huntsand knows anything about bows , but i feel that what little i do know is not going to get the job done . The other guy in the archery dep. knows a lot about the tec. part of archery and when he is their we are good to go. when he is off it's just me and i have a hard time with some of the tec. stuff. so do any of you know any good books or anything that will help me gain more info. so i can do my job better?

Bigpapascout 01-22-2007 04:21 AM

RE: need some advice

You have Google search engine dont you/
you can find out just about any thing you need to know by typing in a key word like
bow tuning and it will pop up several sites that will tell you most any thing you need to know about tuning a bow. type in FOC and it will give you addys that will explain forward of center. why do you need a book when you have the www:eek:

Rickmur 01-22-2007 05:04 AM

Not to belittle you but that is what is wrong with BP.You very seldom get good advice there. I applaud you for wanting to learn more.Support your local Pro or Archery shop and get the right info before plunking down your hard earned cash.
Brick shark, this is no way bashing you, don't take it that way. It's just the way they do bussisness.

killzonearchery 01-22-2007 08:33 AM

They should help you when you are there and explain everything to you befor you go in the if it was up to me. But really books are not going to help you to much. I think it is more experince then anything.

nodog 01-22-2007 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

They should help you when you are there and explain everything to you befor you go in the if it was up to me. But really books are not going to help you to much. I think it is more experince then anything.
I disagree. Any information in print is an invaluable tool. The first thing you should do is read and understand the instruction manuals of the equipment you are using. Second, would be to get info from manufactures on their products. Know their purposes and applications. Most problems I encounter from all are one product does not go with another. Reading magazines are good. Books are great, but take time and a hands on experience to sink in, the customer should not be your ginny pig even though your manager won't see it that way, if he did you wouldn't be there.

Above all be honest with the customer. If you don't know, say so. Maybe they will be willing to help you learn something, even at the price of your pride. I have learned a lot this way and over time that knowledge adds up. Following this advise maybe detrimental to your financial well being.:D

Hunters Friend web site has some good info as well as other popular sites. I get the feeling you will, before long, be someone people will seek out for help.