HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   jennings elephant bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/176126-jennings-elephant-bow.html)

azelkhunter16 01-19-2007 10:37 AM

jennings elephant bow

I've recently purchased a used bow from the wife of a long time hunting partner that passed away last year. He taught me how to shoot a bow (bear bow) and hunt the wilds of AZ.That started in 1979 and took us thruogh some wild and wooly hunts. The bow is a Jennings elephant bow. I need to know how to set it up for myself. He had it setup for 90lbs, but it has been let off for storage. One of the limbs has vertical stress cracks in it and it has many little shims were the limbs meet the riser. He really had this tuned to the max for his abilities. I've seen him shoot 3 jackrabbitsat over 90 yards, what a site! He's harvested numeruos animals with this bow and has been on many hunts. I would like to get it up and running and back in the field. Any sugestions. Coyote:eek:

The Rev 01-19-2007 11:00 AM

RE: jennings elephant bow

Don't shoot it... If the limb has a crack and it's that powerful, you could get injured. I don't know if you can still get a limb for it. I would contact Jennings archery.

KodiakArcher 01-19-2007 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: azelkhunter16

One of the limbs has vertical stress cracks in it and it has many little shims were the limbs meet the riser. Any sugestions? Coyote:eek:
Just one suggestion; retire it.

Bigpapascout 01-19-2007 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: azelkhunter16

One of the limbs has vertical stress cracks in it and it has many little shims were the limbs meet the riser. Any sugestions? Coyote:eek:
Just one suggestion; retire it.
+1

chiefks 01-19-2007 12:29 PM

Time to retire it and buy a new one or a good used one.

KickerPoint79 01-20-2007 06:35 PM

I agree with the others. Hang it up on the wall for a keepsake.
It would be too risky to shoot.

DetLieut 01-20-2007 08:59 PM

Coyote,
I had two of those bows in the late 70s. They are black handledwith green camo limbs. If memory serves me the peak poundages were either 90,100. I still have one of the bows.The bow was a suped up Shooting Star.
As much as I could understand you wanting to have it set up I would heed the above advise and retire the bow (but not before contacting Jennings Archery).

Good Luck,
DetLieut

HORN-HUNTER 01-22-2007 11:53 AM

Look on ebay!!!!!!!just a thought...

killzonearchery 01-23-2007 05:49 AM

Do not shot it our the limb might crack and come back at you. But i would like to see the shot at 90 yards at a rabbit.