HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   is a sts really worth its weight? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/175794-sts-really-worth-its-weight.html)

in da woods 01-17-2007 12:13 PM

is a sts really worth its weight?

I have a tribute, was wondering about those suppressors. Do they really make a difference? I have Simms super leeches on the string. Will I gain much more w/the sts? what are your thoughts people?

Campo 01-17-2007 12:31 PM

RE: is a sts really worth its weight?

I have one on every bow that I own.
They make a big difference, both in hand shock and noise supression.
Get one, and you will see, and you will LIKE!:)

bigbulls 01-17-2007 12:37 PM

I have exactly the oposite opinion as Campo. You couldn't give me one. [:'(]

The few different types of STS systems I have tested slowed arrow speed 5 - 8 fpsmade the bow louder and all of them create a stress point on the string. Instead of the string being stressed equally along its entire length it is now stressed specifically in one spot. Think of an aluminum arrow. Grab it by its ends and flex it and you will get a nice even bow with pressure distributed along the entire length. Now grab it by its ends and flex it against a post placed inthe middle and you get a crease or break where the post is. The same thing is happening to the string every time you shoot the bow.

Campo 01-17-2007 01:01 PM

Did you try varying the distance from the string bigbulls. I have seen STS systems make bows louder due to not correctly setting them up.
Like anything, you gotta spend the time to setup properly.
What models and makes did the STS make louder? I am curious.

bchunter62 01-17-2007 02:38 PM

I recently purchased a allegiance and the first couple days I shot it with the factory hush kit and I installed a sts and wow what a difference.The bow was quite out of the box but with the sts it's dead quite

djkiller 01-17-2007 02:43 PM

I wasnt a real believer of this product at first. I have an '05 Illusion and tried one after a year of a bud bugging me. The bow has virtually no shock to begin w/ and is very quiet. I added one. And to my surprise I felt a difference right away. It was dead quiet and made my bow feel as if it were shot out of a hooter shooter. The little vibration I had was depleted quit a bit. I now have 4 of them on all my bows !!! They do work!!!

muzzyman88 01-17-2007 02:51 PM

I have a custom made one on order for my Allegiance. I see the advantages and enough people out there do as well. If I do lose a couple FPS, so what. I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more concerned about the quietness of the bow. I have heard that tnew EDS stopper used by STS, as well as the guy who made mine, is a lot quieter and more flexible. The older version would create a "slapping" noise when the string hit it.

Also, Hoyt started using such a device this year on their bows. I'm not saying Hoyt is the authority on everything, but their engineers seem to do a lot of good work when it comes to bow design. If they use it, that makes me confident enough to think its worthwhile.

ijimmy 01-17-2007 03:20 PM

It made my bow louder

TerryM 01-17-2007 03:28 PM

The best money you will spend on sound/vib devices.

hardcorehunter 01-17-2007 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

I have a custom made one on order for my Allegiance. I see the advantages and enough people out there do as well. If I do lose a couple FPS, so what. I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more concerned about the quietness of the bow. I have heard that tnew EDS stopper used by STS, as well as the guy who made mine, is a lot quieter and more flexible. The older version would create a "slapping" noise when the string hit it.

Also, Hoyt started using such a device this year on their bows. I'm not saying Hoyt is the authority on everything, but their engineers seem to do a lot of good work when it comes to bow design. If they use it, that makes me confident enough to think its worthwhile.
I have a new Hoyt Vectrix with the new stealthshot; similiar to the sts. works great, very quiet. Another item that people overlook andmakes a bow very quiet is rubber cat whiskers on the string. I put these on my old Trykon and my current Tribute and it really made both bows very quiet. Total cost is $2.00 per bow, try these 1st before spending $ on a sts.

mobow 01-17-2007 04:37 PM

I too have a Vectrix w/ the Stealthshot. It definetly helps, but so do the super leaches. For giggles, I took them off of my string thinking they were unnecessary. WRONG! Get this, the bow was not only louder.....now here's the funny part......It SLOWED DOWN 7 fps.....I put them back on....Quiet again and faster.

muzzyman88 01-17-2007 06:52 PM

I like the super leaches. They last a long time and really do a number on string vibe. I have a set I'm debating on throwing on my Allegiance. Actually, the debate is over, I blew my stock silencers off already. About 150 shots is all it took on those stock jobs.

Though somewhat controversial, another thing the STS systems help with his string slap. While I agree if its a problem, you should check your draw length, for hunting, the STS helps. We sometimes have to wear heavy clothing in cold temps. The added bulk on your bow arm can get in the way. The STS stops the string before it can get into your arm.

Some report added accuracy, but I am skeptical about that. Though stopping the string in the same place each shot does make sense.

stealth1 01-17-2007 08:03 PM

Agree with muzzyman88.

JoshKeller 01-18-2007 05:35 AM

just a little tip about the cat whiskers, you can get multi colored, make your own color scheme, etc for the same price. Silicone spinner bait skirts are the same thing and are usually 3 or so for $1

Arthur P 01-19-2007 07:20 AM

Does STS work and is it worth it... The real answer is, like for every other gadget and doodad, IT DEPENDS.

It works great on setups that need it, not so great on those that are less needy and not worth a flip on those that don't need it.

If your bow needs it, the only one who can decide if it works good enough to be worth the cost and weight is YOU.

My personal opinion is it's another money grabber invented to take advantage of those who refuse to listen to their bows' demands for heavier arrow weight.;)

Cougar Mag 01-19-2007 07:49 AM

My personal opinion is it's another money grabber invented to take advantage of those who refuse to listen to their bows' demands for heavier arrow weight.
Here we go. ;) I have no opinion on an STS simply because I haven't used one. I do side with Arthur on the heavier arrow weight though.

djkiller 01-19-2007 01:27 PM

And as long as your spine and deflection is correct!! Theres not an issue w/ arrows. I have tested them on many bows. They do make a diffrence on noise. The accuracy thing I havent found them to make any real difference. Even on a hooter shooter that rules out human error. Also,some people may not want to get heavy arrows. Its cheaper to buy an STS than a set of arrows. On that note. Its a preference. They are not a scam or something to take money out w/ no results. They do work.
If you like them fine. If not dont bash them !! Its a good product at a reasonable price. Good Luck!!!!!

GForce 01-19-2007 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

My personal opinion is it's another money grabber invented to take advantage of those who refuse to listen to their bows' demands for heavier arrow weight.;)
I have to agree 100 %. I recently changed the setup of my favorite hunting bow. Was shooting GT 55/75 shafts, 27 inchw/100 grain b'heads. Went to GT 75/95 shafts, 29 inch w/125 grain points.

What a reduction in noise! I had my daughters stand off to the side of me with their backs to me while shooting each. They both could hear the difference. BTW, my youngest daughter is a new bowhunter and can hear and see MUCH better then I.:)

Do the heavier arrowseffect speed,most certainly. When the bow is tuned and sighted, due they effect the ability to lay arrows into the vitals; NO.

in da woods 01-19-2007 08:56 PM

As long as arrows are being mentioned, I'm using Easton Axis ST's 390, 9.6grains/in. 29" draw length.Any thoughts on that combo? Thoseare the same type/weight that the proshop owner uses on his Tribute. Thanks, to all 4 your input. I might go to proshop & try one out, & do what GForce did & listen while a friend shoots it & vice versa.

Howler 01-21-2007 10:30 AM

I've got an STS on my Mathews Legacy and I took off my string silencers. The bow shoots slightly faster now, and is as quiet as it was with sting leeches, and no bow jump what-so-ever!
I get a giggle from reading the "opinions" of the guys that look at a product, have never tried it, but think that it "can't work"! Kind of like the WB. So many opinions from those that have never tried it! Just don't know whatthier missing!;)

IL-Cornfed 01-21-2007 11:08 AM

No reason NOT to have an STS on your rig. They truly do make a difference.

Arthur P 01-21-2007 11:32 AM

The Axis 390's are fine, as long as they shoot well for you. Some guys here will say they are too heavy but that's a matter of opinion. They are heavy enough that the STS probably wouldn't be as effective with your setup as it'd be if you were shooting much lighter arrows.

If you can try it out before buying it, then by all means give the STS a trial run. Can't hurt anything and you'd know for sure whether you actually need it or not before plopping down the cash.

By the way, I get a giggle out of guys who make wild assumptions about whether someone else has tried something or not.

Must be a really crappy Mathews you got there, Howler, for an STS to seem that miraculous. The few Mathews bows I've shot, they were so smooth, quiet and recoil free that I had to double check the bow to make sure I'd even dumped the string. Maybe you should send that thing back to the factory and get it fixed. ;)

Snood Slapper 01-21-2007 01:08 PM

I like mine and was also able to remove string silencers. I don't think it will improve every bow's performance noticeably, but if you get one and find it isn't for you, you generally have no trouble finding someone to by one over on the AT classifieds. You might be able to find one a little cheaper there that someone doesn't want anymore.

Howler 01-21-2007 04:29 PM

Nothin' wrong with my Mathews!!:)And I have very little doubt that you have ever tried the WB, and after the statement about the STS being a waste of money, I'd bet that you haven't tried it either![8D]