Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 is a sts really worth its weight? >

is a sts really worth its weight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

is a sts really worth its weight?

Old 01-17-2007, 04:37 PM

Default RE: is a sts really worth its weight?

I too have a Vectrix w/ the Stealthshot. It definetly helps, but so do the super leaches. For giggles, I took them off of my string thinking they were unnecessary. WRONG! Get this, the bow was not only louder.....now here's the funny part......It SLOWED DOWN 7 fps.....I put them back on....Quiet again and faster.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the super leaches. They last a long time and really do a number on string vibe. I have a set I'm debating on throwing on my Allegiance. Actually, the debate is over, I blew my stock silencers off already. About 150 shots is all it took on those stock jobs.

Though somewhat controversial, another thing the STS systems help with his string slap. While I agree if its a problem, you should check your draw length, for hunting, the STS helps. We sometimes have to wear heavy clothing in cold temps. The added bulk on your bow arm can get in the way. The STS stops the string before it can get into your arm.

Some report added accuracy, but I am skeptical about that. Though stopping the string in the same place each shot does make sense.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 PM

Agree with muzzyman88.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

just a little tip about the cat whiskers, you can get multi colored, make your own color scheme, etc for the same price. Silicone spinner bait skirts are the same thing and are usually 3 or so for $1
Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does STS work and is it worth it... The real answer is, like for every other gadget and doodad, IT DEPENDS.

It works great on setups that need it, not so great on those that are less needy and not worth a flip on those that don't need it.

If your bow needs it, the only one who can decide if it works good enough to be worth the cost and weight is YOU.

My personal opinion is it's another money grabber invented to take advantage of those who refuse to listen to their bows' demands for heavier arrow weight.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

My personal opinion is it's another money grabber invented to take advantage of those who refuse to listen to their bows' demands for heavier arrow weight.
Here we go. I have no opinion on an STS simply because I haven't used one. I do side with Arthur on the heavier arrow weight though.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 PM

And as long as your spine and deflection is correct!! Theres not an issue w/ arrows. I have tested them on many bows. They do make a diffrence on noise. The accuracy thing I havent found them to make any real difference. Even on a hooter shooter that rules out human error. Also,some people may not want to get heavy arrows. Its cheaper to buy an STS than a set of arrows. On that note. Its a preference. They are not a scam or something to take money out w/ no results. They do work.
If you like them fine. If not dont bash them !! Its a good product at a reasonable price. Good Luck!!!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I have to agree 100 %. I recently changed the setup of my favorite hunting bow. Was shooting GT 55/75 shafts, 27 inchw/100 grain b'heads. Went to GT 75/95 shafts, 29 inch w/125 grain points.

What a reduction in noise! I had my daughters stand off to the side of me with their backs to me while shooting each. They both could hear the difference. BTW, my youngest daughter is a new bowhunter and can hear and see MUCH better then I.

Do the heavier arrowseffect speed,most certainly. When the bow is tuned and sighted, due they effect the ability to lay arrows into the vitals; NO.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:56 PM

As long as arrows are being mentioned, I'm using Easton Axis ST's 390, 9.6grains/in. 29" draw length.Any thoughts on that combo? Thoseare the same type/weight that the proshop owner uses on his Tribute. Thanks, to all 4 your input. I might go to proshop & try one out, & do what GForce did & listen while a friend shoots it & vice versa.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got an STS on my Mathews Legacy and I took off my string silencers. The bow shoots slightly faster now, and is as quiet as it was with sting leeches, and no bow jump what-so-ever!
I get a giggle from reading the "opinions" of the guys that look at a product, have never tried it, but think that it "can't work"! Kind of like the WB. So many opinions from those that have never tried it! Just don't know whatthier missing!

Quick Reply: is a sts really worth its weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.