Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Blazers vs. Feathers >

Blazers vs. Feathers

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazers vs. Feathers

Old 01-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Blazers vs. Feathers

I'm contemplating switching blazers but it's a pretty difficult decision. I've always been and advocate of feathers and I HATE standard vanes and I refuse to use them.

Anyway, I know that there are a lot of guys switching from feathers to blazers and I'm trying to understand why. The only advantage that I can see over feathers is that they wouldn't be as affected in really wet conditions. What am I missing here?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Blazers vs. Feathers

That's it. If you've ever followed my postings on the subject, I completly agree. I've shot feathers for over a decade. I sent off for the free samples of Blazers that was offered in the summer, and shot them for a month or so. They were perfectly fine, and stabilized my arrows perfectly as expected.

I just believe feathers are so much more forgiving of rest contact, as well asin-flight contact with obstacles which the arrow may contact on the way to the target. Plus, I'm not willing to give up the look of my barred feathers. I'll even by trying my hand at a few 3D shoots with them this spring.

I rarely find myself sitting in a downpour these days, as umpteen years of trying to do so has proven to me it's worthless. But even when my feathers are soaked, I've shot them spot-on out to 20 yards, and I don't think I'd attempt a shot in a downpour farther out than that for tracking reasons. There's also some good commercial applicatons which are very effective at waterproofing feathers, such as Sno-Seal and the like.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Greg, I knew you were a feather guy as well. I feel the exact same way. I've shot my feathers in the rain and I feel that out of a properly tuned but it doesn't matter. That's all I needed Greg just a little push to keep me on "the good side!"
Old 01-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

And there's just no way plastic can look this cool! [8D]

Old 01-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Feathers are da bomb! But they just don't like to get wet. And they're tad noisy in flight, not that it matters much....Blazers stabilize JUST as well....even if they're wet.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'll take my chances with sno-seal and the Bohning powder and leave the vanes at the store!!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

I'm contemplating switching blazers but it's a pretty difficult decision. I've always been and advocate of feathers and I HATE standard vanes and I refuse to use them.

Anyway, I know that there are a lot of guys switching from feathers to blazers and I'm trying to understand why. The only advantage that I can see over feathers is that they wouldn't be as affected in really wet conditions. What am I missing here?
why dont you do this... get a couple of your arrows that the fletchings are in need of re fletching and Re fletch with Blazers this way you can compaire with your fratheres
that way ifyou dont like them you only havr to refletch a couple of arrows instead of a whole wad of arrows
I am very suspicious though after trying the blazers you will bere fletching the rest of your arrows with the blazers
I am definatekly sold out on the Blazers

Imagine if you can your arrows on
Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

And there's just no way plastic can look this cool! [8D]

ya those are some cool looking arrows no doubt
butas the old saying goes....Chrome wont get you home

seriously though, when it comes to to the rubber hitting the highway it is really up towhat the individual archer preferrs in their equipment selection not what every one else thinks they should use.

Personally I do love the Blazers and preferr them over any other type of fletching
and I have no doubt you feel the same way about feathers....its All good