Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Picking a release >

Picking a release

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Picking a release

Old 01-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Spike

Default Picking a release

Here's my next question: I've used afingertab all my life and I plan to buy either a Mathews Switchback XT or Bowtech Allegiance soon. I also plan to switch to a release. How does one go about picking the best release for the job? What determines which release is better?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Picking a release

In order: Fit, Style/type, Sear quality, Adjustability, color (hey, if you can't shoot good at least you should look good shooting!)
Old 01-16-2007, 10:42 PM

Whichever suits your style and wears the best for you. It's entirely up to you. Every person is different.

That said, go with TruFire. They're the best[8D]
Old 01-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

i shoot a tru-fire,the glove style, and love it.shot a winn-free for years and switched to the tru-fire a couple yrs ago it is a great release.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 AM

Here is my $.02

I would not recommend buying a new release the same day you buy a new bow.
Reasons:
1. You have no idea what release suits you best
2. You dont really have any idea about rollover points, valley, or any of that technical stuff from a release shooters standpoint. Both bows you mentioned are high speed, which means the are finicky.
3. If you havent shot a release, you will, in all likelyhood, be punching the trigger. You must remember, it is actually the back muscles that should trigger your release, not your thumb or forefinger.
4. In that time you are taking to get used to the bow, maybe try one or two releases a week. Dont shoot them too much, just get a feel for it, and its trigger style, and take notes! Lots and lots of notes, so you can remember when it comes time to purchase a release.

Kudos onbuying a new bow, but make sure you do things properly and take the time to get used to the bow before you changetwo factors of your shooting at one time.
Trust me, I know from experience