HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow spine program help needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/175031-arrow-spine-program-help-needed.html)

ArrowMike 01-12-2007 10:25 PM

Arrow spine program help needed

I want to check arrow spine on arrows for my new bow and want to see if anyone has an arrow program to check against Easton chart?
My bow is a Hoyt Vectrix XL60 Lbs max 28 ½” draw. Bow specs are 36 ATA, 7 1/2" brace, IBO rated 315.Arrow length is 27” long. I was looking at X7 Cobalts with NIBB points, mini blazers, Easton super knocks.
The charts say to use 2212 up to 60lbs and 2312 for 61-65lbs. I think that the 2212 is to lightly spine for this bow. Does any one have a program that they could check this for me.
Thanks for the help.

Paul L Mohr 01-13-2007 08:03 AM

RE: Arrow spine program help needed

Could you tell us the actual draw weight of your bow, and better yet what speed it will shoot with a specific weight arrow. This lets you calibrate the program better.

And what do you have on your string? Brass nocks, string loop, peep with rubber tubing?

Keep in mind a target set up is going to show a weaker spined arrow then a hunting set up.

If you can give me slightly more info I can try and run it tomorrow if I have time. If someone doesn't beat me to it.

Oh, and are you sure that is your actual draw length? Or just what the cam says? And what length arrows would you like to shoot?

Paul

djkiller 01-13-2007 11:23 AM

go to archerytalk.com and purchase the pinwheel software. I got it. Its awesome. You can set up your bow any way you want and find out what arrows will work. It will also tell what brands and weight of arrows are recommended for your bow set up. it has a graph that will show if your weak or stiff w/ your current combo. (bow/arrows) for $20.00 you cant beat it!! good luck!!!

ArrowMike 01-13-2007 12:53 PM

Paul
Here is the other info bow weight is 61 3/4 Lbs,draw 28 1/2" is whatHoytsaid it is. I want to shoot a 27" arrow. I have a 5gr peep no tubes, 1 brass nock, 1 eliminator button. Im also going toreplace the fusestring with a 452 string. Also this bow is only for 3-D, not hunting. Today i shota 386gr arrow @ 269 fps, then i shot a 333gr arrow @ 289 fps.
Thanks for the help.

Paul L Mohr 01-14-2007 08:10 AM

Ok, I can't use my computer right now (which is where the program is installed) because my girlfriend is not feeling good and is in the bedroom in bed. When she gets up and around I will try to sneak in there and run some numbers for you;). If someone doesn't beat me to it.

I have the software by Pinwheel archery and like it. OnTarget 2 is what I have.

Knowing your actual draw length would be nice. Nock an arrow and draw your bow back (aimed in safe direction) and have someone mark your arrow right above where you grip the bow, or where the hole is that you mount your rest to. Now leave your arrow nocked on the string and measure from the string to the mark on the arrow. Then add 1 3/4 inches to that measurement. This is your actual AMO draw length.

It would also be nice to know where your rest contacts your arrow. Technically it should be close to where you marked the arrow for your draw length. If it is more than a few inches behind that I would need to know that as well, since you would be shooting a slight overdraw.

Out of curiousity, what type of rest do you shoot?

The speeds will help a lot, thanks.

Paul

Paul L Mohr 01-14-2007 01:15 PM

With the information you gave me I show a 2412 being the lightest X7 that spines well for your set up.

This was with 62 lbs of peak weight and 28.5 inches of draw length and a 27 inch arrow.

I also used a 100 grn nibb (no insert) with 3 inch feathers and got between 8.5 and 9 % FOC. If you use the Blazers it will lower your FOC some.

If you want to use a different point weight or use inserts I would need to check it again since the extra point weight would effect the spine. If you wanted to use an insert go with 85 grn points, this would give you roughly the same spine and up your FOC to almost 10%.

You could get lighter arrows if you went with a carbon arrow. Not sure how much speed you would gain in the end though. Probably not enough to notice at 30 yards or so.

That is what I come up with anyway.

If you want I can figure it at 55 lbs and then that will give you some leeway to adjust your poundage to get the perfect spine if you wanted. This shows these arrows being just about perfect. If it is off slightly and they are too stiff your bow is maxed out so the only thing you could do is add tip weight to weaken them up. This is normally how I do it when I pick new arrows.

Paul

ArrowMike 01-15-2007 08:39 AM

Paul

Thanks for the help.

Paul L Mohr 01-15-2007 02:25 PM

You are welcome

Paul