Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?) >

Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

I hate that my bow doesn't have rear mounts (on the backside of the riser) so I can easily add an sts, vibration dampeners, etc.

Is it a bad idea to add my own (let's consider I know a machinist at a tool and dye shop who is very capable of this), but it wouldn't "weaken" the riser in any way would it, or should I just forget about it and what until I get a new bow (maybe a pheonix 32....)?

Thanks.

BTW the bow is a Parker Ultra Lite (not the extreme model, this is the 2004 or 2005 model, I'm not sure)
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM

Default RE: Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Holy Smokes[:-]
Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 PM

lol, I know, the idea freaks me out.

If I could sell my car and my bow I have now I'd be all over a new bow, lol.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am a tool maker and I wouldn't do it.

These bows are tested and designed a certain way and where you decide to put the whole might be already cut down to a minimum.

There might be a couple bows that I would try it to but in general,a no go for me.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

I hate that my bow doesn't have rear mounts (on the backside of the riser) so I can easily add an sts, vibration dampeners, etc.

Is it a bad idea to add my own (let's consider I know a machinist at a tool and dye shop who is very capable of this), but it wouldn't "weaken" the riser in any way would it, or should I just forget about it and what until I get a new bow (maybe a pheonix 32....)?

Thanks.

BTW the bow is a Parker Ultra Lite (not the extreme model, this is the 2004 or 2005 model, I'm not sure)
drilling a hole in the riser will void the warranty
Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 PM

warranty, schmauranty.

I probably won't do it, actually I'm certain I won't, but I'm just curious as to whether or not it would work without the bow breaking in half on me.

Just a hypothetical ?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 PM

if you add a brass insert it should be fine. I watched a guy at a pro shop bore out threads and put in an insert with out any problems
Old 01-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there any way you could contact that guy who made the Grizzly proof suit? You could wear it while you shot the bow!

I am going to add a rear stabilizer mount to my Champion Scorpion, but this is how I plan to do it. I have 3/4" square aluminum tubing. This will be cut to fit the riser angle, and leave the 2 sides extend along the side of the riser to cover one of the machined holes. I plan to fill that riser hole with JB weld, and put in 2 cross bolts through the aluminum tubing, and riser hole, but not drilling or cutting the aluminum bow riser in any way. Once the aluminum tubing is epoxied and crossbolted to the riser, I plan to fill the open square end of the tubing with more epoxy, and embed a stabilizer insert or a few 5/16th by 24 nuts for the rear stabilizer to screw into. Keep all the attachments aligned, and it should work fine once the epoxy set up. Rear mount, no weakening.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM

I really hope you changed your mind about this.
Even though the riser does not SEEM to bend during draw and release ,it actually does. The riser is one piece of machined alluminum and it's stress tolerances are exact. Without too long an explanation , it will probably crack at the very least.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

if you add a brass insert it should be fine. I watched a guy at a pro shop bore out threads and put in an insert with out any problems
There is a difference in putting a brass insert in an existing hole (this is how I understand the above quote)vs. putting in a new hole. I think you're asking for trouble

Quick Reply: Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.