Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?) >

Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

ORIGINAL: dws

I guess to avoid getting flamed so much I won't answer anything like this on here again. I will refuse to share my vast machining knowledge again.
Don't be like that. You have tomake some sparks toput togetheragood weld. Just guys talking.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

nodog is exactly right.

I am not trying to flame anyone.We just have a difference of opinions and that is just a part of life.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM
dws

Okay guys, one more way to skin this cat. This is very safe and almost anyone should be able to do it and if done with a little care it could look like it was supposed to be there. You take a small piece of aluminum about 1/2 to 3/4 thick and shape it to fit against the riser, when you accomplish that trace the outline on the riser. Then sand through the finish on the riser but don't sand past your line or you will see it later. Lay the insert in place and scribe a line on the side of it perpindicular to the string. Take the insert and drill and tap the hole using the line to make it square with the string. Then use a dremel or similar tool to cut a small groove all the way around the bottom of the insert but stay away from the edge or you will see this later also. Mix up some 2 part epoxy gel and glue it on. The groove is just a space for the epoxy to have enough thickness to hold. Paint the insert black and your done. I'm not a big fan of using epoxy but this should work as long as the surfaces are clean and dry and you use epoxy made for aluminum.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 AM

Wow, forgot about this post. Just FYI, I didn't not plan on doing this really. It was a hypothetical question, and a hypothetical situation. If I were to attempt such a feat, I would indeed do it inline with thelimb pockets. Anything more realistic I would do to add an STS is just buy a front mount.

That wasn't the question on hand. I was just curious as to the risks involved (and God knows I knew of most of them that were stated here). I am a college student, going for a B.S. in Mathematics with a minor in Physics.

I was just curious is anyone had tried this and if so with what degree of success?

I hope you all don't take me as some blasted idiot. I just thought I'd ask this for conversations sake, after all. Some learn by reading, some learn by trying. I think I could make it work, regardless of what I read here nothing will change that. Now will i attempt this? No. (A void in the metal, such as a drilled hole, would be very susecptible to breaking, but when the void is filled, totally filled, where is the damage going to go? If there isn't any vacant space to allow a bending action to allow pressure to be put on the whole, then why should it break?)

Now granted, filling the hole entirely and precisely is another story. Just a question I thought I'd ask though "hypothetically."

At least it looks like some of you had fun discussing it.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM

That wasn't to bad ,don't suppose you got any more do ya