Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?) >

Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 AM

Default RE: Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

ORIGINAL: Bigpapascout

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

I hate that my bow doesn't have rear mounts (on the backside of the riser) so I can easily add an sts, vibration dampeners, etc.

Is it a bad idea to add my own (let's consider I know a machinist at a tool and dye shop who is very capable of this), but it wouldn't "weaken" the riser in any way would it, or should I just forget about it and what until I get a new bow (maybe a pheonix 32....)?

Thanks.

BTW the bow is a Parker Ultra Lite (not the extreme model, this is the 2004 or 2005 model, I'm not sure)
drilling a hole in the riser will void the warranty
Not only will it void the warranty, it could also layeth the smackdown on you. Imagine a riser in the face at full draw? How about a limb to the chest? Perhaps a piece of riser in the forearm?

Dont do it. Buy a new bow if you want an STS that much.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I wanted to do it I would. One thing in your favor is it's on the inside. If it was on the back I'd say definetly no. If you make a stick bow you always remove material from the face not the back. Weld an insert in and test it at it's lowest poundage working up from there. Keep an eye on it. They maybe close specs, but they are over spec for saftey. I'd say 3 times over. You can buy a new riser if it fails. If your squeemish about it put it on a cranck board first.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not do it. If they wanted it to be on there then they would have put it on the bow. There is a reason y it is not on there. I would not do it if i was you.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:21 AM

lol. I wasn't "seriously" considering doing it, I mean I can buy a front mount for an STS for my bow...

The real question is what changes went into the riser from my model to the next years model, with the tapped hole.

It looks (and I know as well as anyone looks can be deceiving) like it's the same riser just with mounts.

I plan on just getting another bow soon (as in soon I hope this year) anyways. I was just curious if doing this was a really bad idea. The general consensus is yes it is. I wasn't going to do it, more than likely, but sometimes I get a crazy feather in my to do something dumb, and this probably would have been one of them.

thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM

I'm no expert by any means but if you had your buddy drill it out,epoxy in a treaded insert and then screwed in the sts there is no void there .
I can't see how this would effect anything...
Still would be carefully when first shooting it,as was already stated shoot at low poundage.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I surely hope you talked yourself out of this. This is one of the most insane things I've heard in a long time.

But, if you do decide to do it, make sure you video it. Many of us would love to see this on youtube.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope Hoyt is reading this and decides to put rear mount stabilizer holes on ALL of their bows from now on....
Old 01-11-2007, 08:49 PM
dws

I'm a toolmaker and if I wanted a hole I would drill it. It would void the warranty but I can't see a 1/4x20 hole making a safety issue. I would bet on the string or a limb breaking before the riser.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

I am also a Tool & Die Maker/ Designer, This is a Bad Idea!!! If you think about what % of the riser you are taking away at that cross section it is a large %. There is a good chance that you can snap the riser in half. It might not be the first shot but it can happen one day. I never met a guy that has broke a limb, riser or string at full draw that wanted to go back on that ride again. Be safe- be smart.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dws

I'm a toolmaker and if I wanted a hole I would drill it. It would void the warranty but I can't see a 1/4x20 hole making a safety issue. I would bet on the string or a limb breaking before the riser.
You havn't seen any risers broken in half have you.Nor have you seen slow motion video of a bow when shot.

Like I stated before,I am a toolmaker with an associates in tool design.

It may be quite possible with no danger but untill I have seen the testing and know the stress points of a given model,I will stear clear of drilling extra holes in a riser.Some I may be able to tell by looking but most of the bows today are slimmed down to the max.

Quick Reply: Going to drill a hole in my bow (bad idea?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.