Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ACCs vs FMJs?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ACCs vs FMJs?

ORIGINAL: Copper31

I agree with yopper. I have been shooting the FMJ's this season and they are as tuff as any arrow I have shot. Took everything from bear to turkey. Just the fact that the carbon is wrapped in the alum. makes them a safer choice. I have never had it happen but I have heard some bad stories about carbon arrows coming apart. For what it is worth I like FMJs and will continue to shoot them.
Thanks for the input. I'm concerned, however, that since they still utilize a carbon core that failure could still exist and if so, would the alloy encasing do anything to protect it?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

...if you are planning on doing a great deal of target shooting, I would go with the FMJs because you will have a much easier time getting them out of 3D targets, and block-style targets as well.
This was a major factor for which the fmjs caught my eye when shopping for arrows. I felt the alloy encasement would allow for the easier removal from targets while maintaining the tight tolerances of carbon. That being said, I've always shot aluminum and never had to remove a carbon arrow from a foam or layered target. How difficult is it really? One hand? Two hands? Two hands standing on the target with a line of guys tugging behind you?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 AM

not that much more difficult to pull carbons, but if you are shooting alot, ie target shoots etc; it can become a pain in the a**
Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

SK23-

The ACE's (aluminum-carbon-extreme) are barrel-shaped, like the X10's. Made for longer-distance target shooting.

ACC's do not have the barrel contour to them. One of the best and most durable shafts out there IMO. I've been using them for several years for a hunting arrow.

I have a very accurate spine tester- and ACC's rate up there at the topnear X7 aluminums. You'd be shocked if you could see the spine variances on some of the all-carbon arrows out there....

I find it interesting that for MANY years Easton was putting the ACC's on their target side of the catalog along with the ACE's and X10's. Now I seet that the ACC's on ONLY on their hunting side of the catalog. ??

The ACC is still an outstanding target arrow as well. Lots of records have been set with ACC's as a target arrow.

They are a great arrow shaft.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:23 AM

My only issue with the FMJ's is that the tolerances aren't as good as the A/C/C. The only reason I don't shoot the A/C/C is that I feel they are too light for heavy boned game like mountain goat (although they did the job on my brown bear). Now I shoot the A/C Superslim, it's a bit heavier than the standard A/C/C.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

As black frog said the A/C/E's are aluminum/carbon composite similar to ACC but they are indeed barrel shaped.......thicker in the middle of the shaft than the ends. This is a very desirable shaft for those shooting field archery and FITA events that where you can shoot as far as 90 meters. There is a better barrel shaft for this stuff (Easton X10's) but they are a LOT more than the A/C/E's and most guys aren't a good enough shooter to take advantage of the higher end X10's.

In other words..........get the ACC's unless your shooting FITA/Field archery events and are serious about them.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with Yooper, plus he shoots a nice bow.

I shoot both, ACC for the Mathews, FMJ for the Bowtech. I have found that the FMJ's pack more of a punch based on their gpi and actually penatrate my targets more. Plus they are easier to remove.

I haven't seen any durability issues whatsoever with the FMJ's. Overall they are both very high quality arrows and they should be based on both of their cost.

It really depends what you will be doing of. If you are 3D target shooting: ACC for their tolerance. If you are hunting: FMJ for their durability.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the responses! Tons of information on here...and in a way, you're not making my decision any easier All kidding aside, I'm going to probably look into the ACCs for now.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

FMJ;s here and no complaints. I get more penetration out of them into my broadhead target now than i ever did with gold tips. JMO