Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question on Arrow Size (Spine) selection >

Question on Arrow Size (Spine) selection

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question on Arrow Size (Spine) selection

Old 12-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Question on Arrow Size (Spine) selection

Got a quesiton for those here in the know. I'm going to be getting some new arrows for target shooting and the only bow shop in my area, pretty much only carries the Epics which is fine with me because I've been shooting them for a while and like them. Here's my question.

I'd like to know which size Epics I should REALLY be shooting? I've been shooting the 500's at the advice of the shop owner but after doing some reading and such, I believe I should be shooting 400's.

Here's my specs:

70# - Darton Maverick recurve Express set at about 67# range.
27 1/2 " draw length and shooting at about 280 FPS. Arrows are 28" long from end of nock to end of arrow insert.

So, what's your opinion on what size Epics I should be spitting out of this thing?

Greatly appreciate any and all replies as I am confused on this.

Thanks all!!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on Arrow Size (Spine) selection

It looks to me like you need to be shooting 340's if the speed is right and your arrows are 27 1/2 from the nock GROOVE to the end of the shaft.(no field point)

I can't believe a shop would have you set up with 500's shooting 67#'s @ 280 fps. If epics are all they have,you may want to look for a new shop.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

How accurate is the 280 fps?

If you can give some exact specifics,I can tell you exactly what arrow you need to be using.

Do you have a loop.Arrow length,nock groove to end of shavft and exa
Old 12-29-2006, 07:44 AM

The 280 fps is pretty accurate. The bow has been shot through a crono many times at our club. As for the loop, right now I'm not using one but plan on switching to one come spring time and I shoot with release. Didn't want to make the change during hunting season. Measuring the arrow from nock groove to end of shaft is JUST under 28". (no field tip)

What's wrong with the Epics TFOX?? They seem like a pretty good arrow. Also, looking for another shop isn't really possible. The shop I deal with now is quite a drive, anything else would be a minimum of a 90 minute drive one way. []

Appreciate your reply and help
Old 12-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are way underspined with 500's , you could probably shoot 400's but I would not put over a 100 grain head on front , you may find 75 grain heads tune and group better with you specs , maybe or maybe not .
Old 12-29-2006, 08:13 AM

75 grain tips is all I've shot for target. Used to shoot 100grian but that was a long time ago.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty good advice above. There is no doubt your arrows are underspined, grossly so. I shoot a 500 spine at 27" (bow is 27" draw) and about 63# is the upper limit even with 80 grain target points.

I'd agree that you should be shooting 400's, and possibly 340's. You're kinda right there where you could make either work. Another arrow you could check out is the Gold Tip Ultralite 22 series. Larger diameter and lighter so a little more speed, plus line cutting ability.

And yeh, personally I'd like a better quality arrow than the Epic if serious about shooting any target venue. If your shop only carries Epic then it must be a very small shop or he's hard headed and brand loyal. There are lots of other choices in the arrow industry.Don't limit your choices because of a shop's proximity. You can do a lot of searching right here on the computer. Frankly I would look elsewhere simply because he set you up with grossly underspined arrows---or you changed something since he sold you those.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Pretty good advice above. There is no doubt your arrows are underspined, grossly so. I shoot a 500 spine at 27" (bow is 27" draw) and about 63# is the upper limit even with 80 grain target points.

I'd agree that you should be shooting 400's, and possibly 340's. You're kinda right there where you could make either work. Another arrow you could check out is the Gold Tip Ultralite 22 series. Larger diameter and lighter so a little more speed, plus line cutting ability.

And yeh, personally I'd like a better quality arrow than the Epic if serious about shooting any target venue. If your shop only carries Epic then it must be a very small shop or he's hard headed and brand loyal. There are lots of other choices in the arrow industry.Don't limit your choices because of a shop's proximity. You can do a lot of searching right here on the computer. Frankly I would look elsewhere simply because he set you up with grossly underspined arrows---or you changed something since he sold you those.

Everything he said.

NO LOOP,there is no way you need to shoot the 400's. at your current poundage.

You are slightly weak with 400's and a loop so without it,you are way underspined.

Are you wanting to shoot a hunting class or what.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Check this out. This should help.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/product...hartsSelectors