Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows >

Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows

Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 AM

Default RE: Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

atlasman, I can see your point in the disappointment.
I swear.......I thought this was the year for a new toy [:@]

This was my feeling when I shot with Hoyt for so many years. I just didn't feel Hoyt made a better bow than my 01 VorTec and couldn't see trading up. I loved the VorTec and couldn't put it down when shooting all the new ones.
That's what makes writing a review like this so weird........I tried to stay focused on things that guys who already own top end bows are looking for (draw, hand shock, noise, and speed)........trying to discuss these things with someone who shoots a Nova is not the same conversation.

Of course at the time, I didn't try another manufacturer because I was with Hoyt. When I decided to "retire" with Hoyt I also decided I wanted a new bow this year, I went out and shot the top 3 and was so impressed with the Trykon and Allegiance that I purchased both, sold my VorTec to a very close friend for a steal and he absolutely loves it now too.
I remember.........you had the Trykon at first but then realized your speed calc were off and ended up with the Ally.........in the end you got both (sucks to be you right?) My brother has a Trykon and it is a great bow...........he got it pretty bloody this year in the woods too. Funniest of all is my old Fred Bear TRX killed 2 more deer this year (with it's 3rd owner now) I think that bow is up to about 10 or 11 kills by now.

I'd be hard pressed to put down either, especially the Allegiance against these new bows. I'm going to shoot them just to see what everyone is talking about and see who knows their stuff
If you come home with a new bow I will be surprised because I shot the 06 Ally as well and compared to these 2, well.........I'll wait for your review

"fanboy"

Old 12-30-2006, 11:04 AM

Atlasman,, what are your normal settings on your bows as far as draw length and draw weight?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

I found out after putting the sight on, however, that this is NOT the bow for me. (From an earlier thread about the Guardian).

I have been hunting with the Guardian for the past two weeks. It is rigged with a Limbdriver rest, VG sight, and Wild Thing stabilizer that is extended 4" out and 3" down with an offset stabilizer.

Sometimesit's not the information, but how it's presented.

I agree Len.........sometimes things can be confusing depending how they are presented.

I tried to be as clear as I could..........in both presentation and observation.

Then his answers, if I understand them correctly, are that he doesn't want to irritate his shop because he's alienated the other shop in town.
No........you did not understand correctly then. I called Bowtech with a concern I had that I felt THEY were responsible for since it was pre assembly. They asked what shop I bought it at and I answered. What happened between that and my drive to the shop was a nasty exchange between the shop owner and Bowtech because he got lectured over the phone and didn't appreciate it very much.........then I walk in to a very angry shop owner who was asking me what I said to Bowtech on the phone and so on. It was VERY uncomfortable and I felt like I was a kid stuck between arguing parents. I didn't appreciate Bowtech putting me in that position either because I could tell by his tone that he thought I complained about him on the phone and was the catalyst for the lecture he got...............instead of perpetuating a triangle of he said, she said I just felt it was best for everyone to go elsewhere to avoid the whole thing. He fixed my cable rod and Bowtech sent me hats and shirts and everyone lived happily ever after.

Saying I "alienated the other shop in town" is 100% wrong.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:17 AM

Nubbb:

Thank you for your wishes. As far as the Guardian, it is NOT my bow of choice. You should know that after reading my posts all these years. I am making it work because I want to field test something before the season ends. My left-handed Commander won't be available until the middle or end of February.[:@]

There you go, I'm shooting too short an ATA bow for me with the opposite handand the draw length is about 1/2" too long; but, I still find it an enjoyable bow to shoot. If atlasman is shooting this bow and thinking it is 28.5" long, he's about 1 1/4" too long. Then we're assuming he really is a 28.5" draw. If it's way too long for him, then he would rightfully NOT like the draw cycle. FYI, the one I've got is running 3/4" longer than what is specified. I've already relayed this information to BowTech.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

Atlasman,, what are your normal settings on your bows as far as draw length and draw weight?
With my loop my draw is 28" and I shoot 63lbs.

I know the Guardian and Allegiance are 29".............and I know that pulling a longer draw can make it feel "harder". When I go shoot new bows I don't judge the draw against my Patriot but rather each other because they are all usually the same........in this case all 29".

Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

With my loop my draw is 28" and I shoot 63lbs.

I know the Guardian and Allegiance are 29".............and I know that pulling a longer draw can make it feel "harder". When I go shoot new bows I don't judge the draw against my Patriot but rather each other because they are all usually the same........in this case all 29".
One thing you could do is to find a shop that has an Easton draw force mapping thingamajiggyand do the test on your Patriot and the Guardian set to your specs. This would give you a better understanding of how your bow compares to an equally set up Guardian. While your there, chrono both bows with the same set up and arrow and you'll have a completed and more scientific compairison Since no one has yet drawn a 28 inch Guardian,, we don't know if it will feel like it has the same length valley.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:11 PM

This would give you a better understanding of how your bow compares to an equally set up Guardian. While your there, chrono both bows with the same set up and arrow and you'll have a completed and more scientific compairison Since no one has yet drawn a 28 inch Guardian,, we don't know if it will feel like it has the same length valley.
That is why I don't compare the draws of new bows to my Patriot. I try to keep it apples to apples by comparing the new bows to each other. The Ally and Drenalin drew MUCH more pleasantly IMO with the Drenalin smoothest of all. Again this is comparing all 3 at "29"........not vs my Pat.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:32 PM

finally shot guardian today ! bow was 1/4 short on the ATA B/H was 1/8 short letoff was 77% hopeing this is what made it a bear ! I could'nt stick around to mess with it but it was'nt a good first impression I have untill the ATA show to pick a bow . since to OG is gone the commander is what I want but now I really don't know.[&o]
Old 12-30-2006, 03:41 PM

Atlasman , sounds like you called it the way you seen it.
Starting out on a positive note.
It's unfortunate some people are caught up in it so far they can't see your review clearly.
Each time theytried to rearrange your statements ,you rebutted very successfully.
thanks for your unbiased assessment
and good luck on your search for the next best thing.