Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Help with upgrading my old bow >

Help with upgrading my old bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help with upgrading my old bow

Old 11-23-2002, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default Help with upgrading my old bow

I am looking to updgrade my older Martin Prowler at the end of this season.
I absolutely love the way my bow shoots, so I dont want a new one, however, I would like to get rid of the steel cables, and change the cams. I have already found identical cams that use the modern cable style, my question is would this upgrade be possible. I know that I would need to change the axcles and cams, as well as cables strings. Has anyone ever done this? and how did it turn out??
Thanks
Old 11-23-2002, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Help with upgrading my old bow

Changing the cables and string over to using a soft yoke system could be done pretty easily with the right equipment and a bow press, changing the cams would be a different story. Other cams would change the feel of the bow and you said that was why you liked it, plus cams are usually matched up to work with a limb of a certain deflection which would most likely be different than the deflection on the ones you have. Finding limbs to match up to your new cams,as well as matching up to your older bow would be virtually impossible. My suggestion would be to install the soft yoke system and shoot away.

>>>------------>
Let's Go Shootin' ! Pinmaster
>>>------------>
Old 11-23-2002, 07:46 PM

Default RE: Help with upgrading my old bow

Go to your Martin dealer and they will help you out. I woudl always check with your dealer before making changes such as you stated. some bows cannot take the additional stress that an all fast flight system can add to the bow. They will get you better perfromance but is it worth it if it will damage your bow? They will also be able to tell you if the cams can even be changes over.