Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Building

Old 12-05-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Arrow Building

For those that build your own arrows, where do you get your supplies and what kind of refrences do you use. I would like to start doing my own arrows. Any info would be greatly appriciated..

GWF
Old 12-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrow Building

I've just started this fall flecting my own arrows and got my stuff from Bass-Pro. As to information, read the posts here, lots of experience and even some good advice .
Old 12-05-2006, 05:14 PM

I get all my stuff from my local.....PRO SHOP! Support your local pro shop guys, it's the right thing to do.

There is a video out, Building the Perfect Arrow......I THINK by Gateway, but it may be trueflight, I can't remember....But I work at a shop and building arrows is what I do....that's where I learned.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 AM

MCO.
What type of arrows?? aluminum or carbon??
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 AM

Carbon Arrows mainly..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my saw from ebay. My Arizona easy fletch from Gander moutain and all my supplies from where ever I am at when I need parts.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 AM

I use to work at an archeryshop, so i go thereto buy shafts, use their saw, and i bought a jo-jan to fletch. I just learned from them on how to do it. It's not that hard, just buy additional fletching for your first time cause you'll end up re-doing a bunch at first till you get the jig set.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:43 AM

Just a side note: Shaft selection is key. It should be the first thing you ultimately decide upon when beginning to build an arrow.

You will need a fletching jig, glue,shaft cleaner,fletchings of your choice,an arrow saw (unless you will have them pre-cut), astripping knife (box knives work well),and of course nocks/inserts. Add a tip or broadhead and you haveyour basic arrow made.

Optional equipment/accessories include, wraps, an arrow squaring device (like the G5 ASD tool), etc.

Thebest way to learn is to practice.

Practice, practice, practice.

Granted, there are good ways and bad ways of doing things. The best way to start off is by having a good clean shaft. Inside and out. I have run into troubles when the shaft isn't clean. Inserts fall out. Fletchings peel off. This happens because of the carbon dust left by cutting, scraping, etc. and any glue left over if using prefletched shafts.

Make sure when cleaning or cutting off old fletchings not to scrape too far. Box knives have a tendency to knick and peel the carbon fibers. You have to be careful when using a box knife. There are other fletching removal tools out there, decide which one you like best.

When using a fletching jig, all of them have different ways to achieve the proper fletch. The only one I have used or seen in use was a Bitzenburger. Youcan adjust this jig to do about any fletching style you want. Straight, offset, and with special clamps, both right and left helical. There are opinions about which jig is best and the cost between models. The Bitz is one of the more expensive jigs, but it will last you forever. The Grayling is modeled after theBitzenburger, but is plastic and some guys don't prefer it. Arizona E-Z Fletch is out there, Jo-Jan, and others. I would do some research to find what you can afford vs. what features you want.

From there, you will need to find fletchings and glue. Thereseems tobe millions of combinations to use between types offletchings and glue. Some guys have luck with some types of glue, others don't. This is where experimention will probably take place. The fletching and glueyou use is usually a personal choice.

Another good idea is to make sure your arrowis properly spined,straight, and cut to the right length. Along with making sure both ends of the shaft is square after itiscut. Again, arrowselection depends on your set-up.

I gotta cut it short, but I will behappy to answer any questions you might have in regards togetting set up to startbuilding your own arrows.

And like always, guys on HNI are happy to help as well.

Bols

Old 12-06-2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll take you up on that if I need some help( which I am sure I will).

Thanks
MCO
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I get all my stuff from my local.....PRO SHOP! Support your local pro shop guys, it's the right thing to do.

There is a video out, Building the Perfect Arrow......I THINK by Gateway, but it may be trueflight, I can't remember....But I work at a shop and building arrows is what I do....that's where I learned.
It's the Gateway video that is pretty good. Good basic information.

There is also one out by Bohning, but that one is strictly for traditional wood arrows and won't do you much good.

There used to be one availble from PSE, but it is so outdated that I don't think that it is available any more.

Quick Reply: Arrow Building

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.